Carnegie Museum of Natural History and Carnegie Museum of Art
Today my friend Jen and I went to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Museum of Art. I saw Roberta and other museum and library friends whom I had not seen for a while. We visited the travelling exhibit, The Bog People, first. It was quite interesting, sponsored by Canadian, US, Dutch, and German institutions. The exhibit was more multi-language accessible. And Hey! There was even an area where we could use the tools of the forensic scientist to determine demographics of a "body" found in a bog. Team Gray did pretty, pretty well!
We went in the "strativator" to travel to bedrock, and then wondered how Dinosaur Hall would look once renovations were completed. I took a detour into the gift shop to buy--gifts!
We then visited the 17th and 18th Century presepio, a creche scene which has a small town surrounding the main characters. Finally, we visited the trees erected by the women's committee in Architectural Hall. Entranced by the blue lights, Jen and I had our photo taken next to the poem tree about the poet's mom holding the kite string. Jen took my photo with the trees: one bedecked in butterflies; a tree about"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening," which had cut paper snowflakes; and the tree with the kite poem. At dinner that night we talked about our own home Christmas trees and how they are decorated.
I am proud that my tree is from Alexander's department store in New York and that it is the same tree that Wawa, Joycee, and I had when we were toddlers. The tree is bejewelled in ornaments from various stages in my life--some dough ornaments which I had made and painted as a youngster, and some that were made for me by people who care for me. I have ornaments from my parents for each Christmas, including the filigree glass dance slippers which sparkle in the strings of lights. This year, I have added the music box from the director of music at Mercy Hospital's choir, Dan. There are more ornaments than there is space on my humble tree, but I do my best to make room on the tree.
After dinner of Thai food, Jen and I walked to her car by Carnegie Mellon University; then went to the Cathedral to light candles, to pray, and to marvel at the Christmas decorations which I never have time to see after Mass. I noted that there were several types of palm plants around the creche, as there would be when Jesus was born. The conifers looked sparkly in their lights, and the altar and the marble sculpture behind the altar were surrounded by poinsettiae. Such a lovely way to end a pleasant afternoon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home