Friday, September 26, 2008

No Debate Viewing for Me--Joshua Bell at the PSO

After his office hours this afternoon, I met up with Tom to catch the bus downtown for dinner and an evening at the symphony. We had dinner at the Pan-Asian restaurant down the street from Heinz Hall. I enjoyed the fried noodles with pork, egg, and dried fish. Tom had the ribs in sauce. I had Thai iced tea and jackfruit flan for dessert, and Tom enjoyed coffee and cheesecake.


We saw Doug, and Nancy & Tom before the program started. The PSO opened the season with the Star-Spangled Banner, and we enjoyed

John Adams : Short Ride in a Fast Machine
Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky : Violin Concerto (Mr. Bell)
Gustav Mahler : Symphony No. 1 "Titan"

The Tchaikovsky piece was performed emotively, was simply wonderful. Josh and the orchestra moved some members of the audience to stand and applaud after only the first movement!

At intermission we were the third party to meet with Josh Bell. He signed my CD and remembered me from his visit to Pittsburgh last season. Nancy & Tom bid goodnight to Tom and I during intermission. After intermission, we listened to the Mahler piece (alternately dramatic and placid).

In catching the bus, we ran into Jan, Joe & Tina. We all caught the same bus home and enjoyed chatting with each other.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home