MON 01 FEB 2021 to SUN 28 MAR 2021
MON 01 FEB 2021
While at home, prepared for my phone appointment with the mobile phone company, then at D and M's I had lunch and waited until my appointment time at 13.00...until after 15.00, when I called for assistance with my phone. A was very accommodating, and I read some of my book for the webinar before dinner.
Today I started my online language lessons early in the morning at 17th place, and after dinner of pork chops, soup, rice, and eggplant, I moved to 9th place. Time to turn in at home, after warm ablutions.
TUES 02 FEB 2021
Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow---6 more weeks of winter. Am making a batch of bread, spoke with BF this morning. Then bicycled slowly for 23 minutes before delivering defrosted chicken to D and M's abode. Did an online language lesson--went from 17th to 15th place. Going to attend JMc's online funeral service.
Had a chance to further prepare my phone for use, thanks to V, who is moving on to a trainer position.
Met with N, prepared a letter and supporting documents with her!
Had a meeting with a committee.
WED 03 FEB 2021
Back to Bible Study, now that Fr. Mike D feels better. Went with D to repair a tire. He chatted with a friendly folk there. BF and I conducted an informational interview. Jeopardy! tonight. Stayed late to online register the folks for vaccines ("Ain't nobody gonna take away my...shot!"), and also to make phone calls.
THU 04 FEB 2021
M got a phone call this morning regarding a county health department program to deliver shots to older people. Shipped my phone off today. Went grocery shopping at Friendship/Shadyside and at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. Got back in time---by the skin of my teeth--to participate in the first session in the webinar series on Indigenous Knowledge Study Group. Watched the NBC Nightly News, then watched Jeopardy! with M.
FRI 05 FEB 2021
Bicycled ~ 12 minutes this morning. Did some closet organizing/ rehanging of clothes. Headed to D and M's Did a little bit of online language lessons. Headed to D and M---accompanied them to their appointment for their first shots. We enjoyed a late lunch at home, after I dropped off a library book.
This evening MM organized an online game night---a game program/app developed for the BSA a while ago. The characters reminded me of Mario Brothers or Donkey Kong (the pixel quality). We all had fun. L and La shared their insights on naming and names with us at the end of the succeeding Zoom call.
SAT 06 FEB 2021
Got up late, helped out in the kitchen during brunch, and practiced some online language (24 to 22 place). Later this morning, I will do closet organizing/decluttering at home. (Which was preempted by a nap and receipt of a copy of a letter from Teresa D Miller, Secretary of the Department of Human Services of Pennsylvania, informing vaccination personnel of my eligibility to receive a shot---today). I drove first to the site M&D received their first shot yesterday, and it was closed, locked up, cerrado. I called home for directions to the site on the North Side, M called back at 15.03. I then drove to the site, parked across the street, was ultimately quickly processed by Toni O, and then Barb gave me the Pfizer shot, the least painful shot I have ever received Ever. After receiving my paperwork and an Incredible Hulk bandage, at 15.37 I headed to the observation room for 15 minutes. I departed from observation about 2 minutes after 15.52, and happily went to the parking lot to drive home. One of the outside vaccine team noted, "You're already done!" The turn-around time was less than an hour. I was so glad to get out of my multiple layers and headgear when I arrived at D and M's home. "Did you get it?" "What do you think?" "Yes," and the response was a smile, followed by a prompted recounting of the experience, as described above.
After dinner, headed home and texted DR about the Penguins v Islanders game. Also chatted with MVK about vaccines, etc.
SUN 07 FEB 2021
For ~ 1.5 hours in the morning I spent rehanging and reorganizing my closet clothes. Participated in the televised Mass at 10.00 with Fr Daniel Walsh celebrating with Deacon Tom Berna, two servers (the very young bespectacled boy and a tow headed young man), Gregory Thomas was the scheduled lector, Alex DiC cantored, accompanied by DKF at the Beckerath console. During the homily, Fr Dan explained that there are some liquors that are made and aged in oak barrels in the South of France for 60 years. Forty million bottles evaporate per year, and the liquor makers chalk that up to the "angel's share." Fr Dan said, "We should be as porous as an oak cask, (we should) give up (the) angel's portion, plus more." The recessional hymn was "Joyful, Joyful We Adore You," to Bach's Ode to Joy. The recessional voluntary was from Johann Gottfried Walther, Concerto in B minor. The other movements of the concerto were played as part of the prelude to the Mass.
Here are recent renditions of the same concerto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGNUTC_wLA
This recording has D. Casey Dunaway playing the Walther Concerto in B minor (complete) on C.B. Fisk Opus 100 in the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, Texas in 1992.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkKweNnkHfY
This recording is of J.G. Walther's Concerto in B minor after Vivaldi. Played on the Challis pedal harspichord by E. Power Biggs. Out of print.
After practicing language online (23 to 22 place), I made and enjoyed a lunch of cheese and ham sandwiches, MVK texted me, spoke to DW briefly, and texted DKF about music from the Mass. Sent some emails re: inoculations.
While at home, I was rehanging a few more clothes.
Helped M with her computer in the heated room. Moved up to 19 place via online language lessons. Dined on pork kare kare with eggplant, green beans, and "bok choy" over rice for dinner.
MON 08 FEB 2021
This morning was devoted to rehanging other clothes and to bicycling intervals for 10 minutes (2 min warm-up, 2 min fast, 1 min slow, 2 min fast, 2 min slow, 1 min cool down). Made sweet challah bread (started...). Headed to D and M's. Restart online language learning this week. Precticed up to 9 place. Acted as sous chef for a salad. At ~14.00 went to retrieve the bread. Prepared hangers, clothes, the chocolate cake container, and bread for WA and MM's family. Loaded up the trunk with lightweight bags and boxes, and drove to meet them. The Amazon delivery person was there to deliver, as well.
Drank a lot of water when I returned. Retrieved my mail, and wrap. Boy, was it cold today. The high was 26 Fahrenheit.
TUE 09 FEB 2021
Cozied under sheet, comforter, and 2 afghans this morning--Brrrr! Organized some items at home, am still perturbed about some items' . Headed to D and M to work on my presentation and to practice language online (went from 20 to 14 place). Time for a meeting via Zoom.
WED 10 FEB 2021
Chatted with a friend, who wished me luck on my talk later this week. Headed to D and M to work on my presentation and to practice language online. Right before dinner I went grocery shopping in Friendship/Shadyside.
~19.05, An incipient ocular migraine.
Jeopardy! watched by M and me.
THU 11 FEB 2021
Headed to D and M to work on my presentation and to practice language online. Participated in the 2nd session in the webinar series on Indigenous Knowledge Study Group.
Jeopardy! watched by M and me.
FRI 12 FEB 2021
Delivered my interactive talk to the staff at ~as. It went well and I hope they had as much fun as I did! Watched Jeopardy! with M. Today I worked on Language practice and lessons (went from 23 to place 9); D and I saw V and his companion on the way out.
SAT 13 FEB 2021
Slept in today, then chatted with DR and bicycled 25 minutes. Then, I worked on language practice and lessons (before lunch I went from 10 to place 3).
Went home, chatted with MVK. Spoke with S about getting shots. Emailed her.
SUN 14 FEB 2021
Happy Val-Day!
Worked on rehanging closet items. Spoke with JM by phone. Emailed her.
Called M--will set up their Zoom today. Headed over. Watched the Mass that was broadcast from Cathedral this morning at 10.00. Julie B lectored.
Practiced and did some language lessons, putting me at 3 place less than 2 hours from the deadline.
Enjoyed bell pepper steak and double strawberry Jell-O. Then, at 19.00 it was time for our family Zoom with M and D, me, WA and MM's family, and JO, and US. All but M, D, and BF played codenames. When the CA people left, the remainder of us played JackBox...Jokes.
Right about 22.22, listened to DKF perform at St. Paul Cathedral from August 7, 2016 with music of Johnson, Sweelinck, Bach, Paul Halley (from the Paul Winter Consort), Robert Farrell, and more. No Organ Series next season, due to COVID. Choral music by Bob Farrell, including Blessed Assurance. Outer Hebrides is by Paul Halley. A piece by Donnelly, followed by "Litanies," from Jean Alain, which closed the program. The outro featured yet another organ piece.
So much snow and cold. Contacted a few about FX last week.
MON 15 FEB 2021
Tried to officially contact re: FX. got an error code. Practiced, read, and did lessons for online language learning. Made it on the leaderboard. Had breakfast, lunch. N contacted me regarding my talk yesterday, and continuing talks.
Took a short nap. Was contacted re: FX. Made an order. Watched some videos with M, D. Practiced some online language learning in A league, progressed from ~8 to 3 place before dinner. Helped M to make an e-order, too.
FAT TUES/ Mardi Gras 16 FEB 2021
This morning, Did lessons for online language learning. Moved before breakfast from 4 to 3rd place.
Went grocery shopping in Friendship/Shadyside and at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. Had a little lunch of Mac and Cheese with peas before returning a friend's phone call. We chatted about COVID-19 shot availability and how to get them. Looked through my files after our talk about a project---older files from a while ago, for presentations. Helped prepare pepinos for dinner, and had dinner before a meeting. Many people didn't show up, so I requested a message with my future assignments/workload. M and I watched Jeopardy! and the rest of America Says. I had dropped to 4 place over the course of a day, and thus practiced online language learning to work back up to 3 place.
ASH WEDNESDAY 17 FEB 2021
Listened to WQED FM's BBC News at the top of the 0600 hour. I also did a few online language lessons to work from 3 to 2 place. Will go back to sleep until the Ash Wednesday Mass at 8.15.Changed my mind, did some computer work until ~noon, after which I watched the Mass with M from St Mary (at the Point), with Bishop David A Zubik presiding, with a deacon. Ashes were blessed, and sprinkled atop each congregant's head.
I had an ocular migraine from 12.53 until 13.16. I had some water, and some lemonade, too, as well as some potato chips. Scan some documents. More migraines, back to back until 17.00. Went to get some mussels for dinner. Did online language lessons to work from 3 to 1st place.
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1394371/ash-wednesday-2021-sprinkling-ash-on-top-of-head-still-advised-iatf-exec
After dinner of fresh trout and of garlic mussels, D, M, and I watched Witness for the Prosecution, based on the Agatha Christie story. Excellent story with brilliant acting by Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, and Charles Laughton:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051201/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
THU 18 FEB 2021
This morning I awoke to 2nd place in the online language points. Before my afternoon Zoom session I went to retrieve ingredients for this FRI pancit! Indigenous People's study group---a lively discussion and chat in Zoom! Followed by dinner of pepper steak and mussels in herb garlic and onion sauce. And. more. M&M. cookies throughout the day. Watched Jeopardy! with M, helped D set up his Zoom session.
M and I are waiting for Atin Gamot, a webinar. After it was over, I viewed some Pinoy herbal recipes differently.
FRI 19 FEB 2021
Early All-Staff museum meeting. It was run by Matt and Jesse, with time for questions afterwards. Over the course of the day I went from 3 to 2 place with the online language learning.
Late morning I went to Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside to get food supplies, to pick up pancit/ Chinese noodles in Bloomfield, and to drop off some (and to pick up one) library book.
Celebrated! with a slice of chocolate fruit torte.
MM stopped by before dinner with a tray of sushi and a box from Prantls! JO's family's gift.
After dinner, a phone call from Didik was taken, and then we had a big zoom call, including US, who noted that, we viewed childhood pictures of P, with siblings, and played the guessing game of “which one is P and which one is A.”
SAT 20 FEB 2021
Lazy morning. Late morning I progressed from 2 to 1st place with online language stories and lessons. Helped (acted as sous chef) for trout paksiw. Had a little bit of this and that from the fully-stocked refrigerator. Helped M with a Fbook post for this afternoon. HHHOW vvvery cccold it was this afternoon when I retrieved some items. NY Islanders played the Pens at PPG Paints Arena. It was Sid's 1000th game. The Pens won.
SUN 21 FEB 2021
Slept in, watched the 1st Sunday of Lent (B) Mass from Cathedral with D and M. Fr Kris Stubna celebrated the 10.00 Mass, with 4 young servers, including the usual 10 AM server, the very young tow-headed boy, and two other teen young men. Becky, who appeared great with child, cantored, accompanied by Ken Danchik. Carole DiC lectored, accompanied by her spouse, Rich, who was a Eucharistic Minister with Lynn Bainbridge.
Music included
Entrance hymn: The Time of Fulfillment - James Chepponis
KYRIE: Orbis Factor
Responsorial Psalm 25 - R. Kreutz
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION: Orbis Factor
PREPARATION OF ALTAR & GIFTS: Lenten Prayer
HOLY,HOLY,HOLY: People’s Mass - J. Vermulst
ACCLAMATION: Danish Mass - R. Kraehenbuehl
AMEN: Danish Mass - R. Kraehenbuehl
LAMB OF GOD: David Isele
COMMUNION: One Does Not Live by Bread Alone- Russell J Weismann
POSTLUDE: Organ Voluntary
The homily by Fr Kris included these thoughts: Prayer is learning to be quiet. (We tend to ) block out the Voice of God. Make more time for silence.
St. Francis of Assisi
FASTING- is not (purely) bodily. Charity/Love...God is Love.
ALMSGIVING- Call us out of ourselves. All selfish---"me." See everyone as God's children.
(Develop a) more loving heart.
St. Paul said to (reach for the) higher gifts.
Got a lot done today. Even fit in 40 minutes of bicycling, whilst talking with MM. With online language stories and lessons, I ended the week ranked 2nd in the Ame league, got promoted to the Prl league, and am pleased with my showing.
MON 22 FEB 2021
Got a few things done by noon today: Paid my bills to date, and did 2 sessions of online language stories and lessons, moving me from 29 to 24 place, all before lunch. (Right before watching Jeopardy! I was at ~ 28 and worked my way back to 25.) After lunch I got some computer work done, including checking some correspondence from BBB. While at home I texted some friends (including JAH, whom I spoke with briefly), and bicycled 50 minutes. Helped to prepare dinner, and cleaned up afterwards. Watched Jeopardy! with M.
TUE 23 FEB 2021
Made phone calls, did some online language lessons, moving me from 25 to 24 place. Had a ZOOM all-staff meeting for all 4 museums plus. Had a video meeting with a friend after that. Went grocery shopping at the Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. Shopped for M and D at the drugstore in North Oakland. Late afternoon had a Zoom meeting (found out about it from Abby C) "What's in a book?" webinar. Paid end-of-the-month monthly bills.
WED 24 FEB 2021
With the help of M's Technical Support, fixed the printer/scanner not communicating with the computer. CMNH self-evaluation will be discussed on 02 MAR 2021's Zoom meeting. Received a letter from N. Took a brief nap. At about 14.40 went for a walk with a polo shirt and 2 vests. Took selfies at the crosswalks near Cathedral. Went partly down one street and an avenue. Emailed about a hardcase warranty. Helped in dinner preparation. Helped M with the online books. Watched Jeopardy! with M. Worked up to 24 from 25th place.
THU 25 FEB 2021
Had some problems with Tech Support software/apps. Apparently the Tech Support "fixed" the app problem (had to call them this AM twice). After breakfast, I gained points for the online language application/program. Had a virtual meeting with a friend. After a lunch of peanut butter and banana sandwich, I went home to organize and to sweep most rooms. I helped roll lumpia in egg roll wrappers, attended an indigenous people's webinar (4/5 in the series), and then after some spritzing, cooked some of the lumpia in the air fryer (400 Fahrenheit, 4 minutes per side). M, D, and I enjoyed them with some sauce and with some rice. Fruit Jell-O was for dessert. Time to do some online language. Got to 25 place.
FRI 26 FEB 2021
Woke to do lots of language stories, practice, and lessons this morning. Moved from 25 to 17 place before a late breakfast. Helped M with correspondence and phone calls. After lunch I organized and cleaned home. Took a short nap, visited the bank to cash a check. D fried up the remaining wrapped lumpia. (I had to re-wrap a few of them before frying.) M and I watched Jeopardy! and I will work on another project this evening. Also worked on intake forms for my 2nd COVID vaccine shot, which will be tomorrow.
SAT 27 FEB 2021
Woke early, mailed a letter to E Liberty, had breakfast, forwarded a science mentoring article from Science magazine to some of my mentors, prepared paperwork for next week, practiced and learned online language, took a nap. Had a snack and headed out to the North Shore early for my 2nd COVID vaccine shot. The intake ladies were extremely helpful to get me to a registration person. Then it was time for my shot---Jennifer, a contract ped employee gave it in my dominant arm; she was accompanied by Bianca, a med student. I received a Marvel Superhero(ine) Band Aid: BatWoman or CatWoman! While in my 15-minute observation, Camille, a nurse, and I remembered each other from my first shot earlier.
SUN 28 FEB 2021
Last day of the month! Attended the televised Mass from Cathedral with D and M. Fr Steve Palsa celebrated the Mass with Deacon Tom Berna. There were 4 servers: Lucas/Luke, the regular 10AM server, another teen, and the young boy who has been serving usually. Kimo Jung proclaimed the Word as the lector, and Shane cantored, accompanied by the organist (Ken?) in the loft.
1st Reading: Gn 22:1-2, 9a, 10-13, 15-18
Responsorial Psalm: 116:10, 15, 16-17, 18-19
2nd Reading: Rom 8:31b-34
Gospel: Rom 8:31b-34
The homily started related to the Transfiguration, talking about the cool breezes on Mount Tabor (1800 feet), and the change in microclimates as one ascends the mountain.
He spoke about the evil in the world that caused a Filipino-American man to be attacked in a New York City subway car and to receive 100 stitches in his face.
He spoke of his childhood injury while building a bridge across a creek in the neighboring woods with a friend.
He also spoke about how Jesus was willing to give himself:
Mount Tabor: Divinity:: Calvary: Humanity
Sin disfigures us, but the Transfiguration brings to light Divinity.
M and I enjoyed our brunch of spaghetti with tomato mushroom sausage sauce together.
I worked on the language online, holding on to my 18 place while gaining some points.
I took a nap, then went to the neighborhood drug store to retrieve some items for M.
I enjoyed dinner of orzo with tomato mushroom sausage sauce and green beans, set up a Zoom meeting, and watched the last ~half of the Penguins at the NY Islanders game. Tough ice. 0-2.
Set up a short Zoom meeting for this evening. Ten people+ 1 doggie participated. It was fun. We compared notes for Moderna and Pfizer 2nd shots, and talked about Senior antics at BAMc's school. JAA finished her online language course!!! Also talked about wedding reception dining, and WA's upcoming exams, which enticed D off his computer.
Time for a little online language training....even though the week is up. I worked my way up from 10 to 02 place!
Time for sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home