CMU Holiday Concert
This Friday I went with my neighbors Rita, Joe, and Tina to the Carnegie Mellon Holiday Concert at the College of Fine Arts Great Hall. The university's Concert Choir, Repertory Chorus, and Philharmonic Orchestra performed. We arrived a little after eleven o'clock, and I called William to invite him to join us. We sat in the south part of the Great Hall right behind the kettle drums and bass. Robert Page conducted the following program, simulcast on WQED:
We wish you a merry Christmas (Trad. arr. by A. Harris)
Hodie Christus natus est (Sweelinck)
Cantata 191: Gloria in excelsis Deo (Bach)
O come, O come Emmanuel (Trad. arr. by A. Harris)
En natus est Emmanuel (Locklair)
Introit (Finzi)
O magnum mysterium & Hodie Christus natus est (Poulenc)
God rest ye, merry gentlemen (Trad. arr. by A. Harris)
It's beginning to look a lot like Chirstmas (M. Wilson)
Winter Song (Bullard)
March of the Toys from Babes in Toyland (V. Herbert)
White Christmas (Berlin, arr. by A. Harris)
All of us enjoyed the program, especially a little girl sitting behind the percussion section who was directing the Herbert piece.
We went for lunch at Il Valleto after (regrettably, William could not join us, as he had much work to complete before the end of the week. He has been trying to get me to try Il Valleto for a while, though, and insisted that I go), where I enjoyed a thick tuna steak with salad and vegetables.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home