100% Centennial, Carnegie Mellon University
This Friday was the opening of the 100% Centennial Show at the Regina Gouger Miller gallery on the Carnegie Mellon University campus. I thought the gallery might be in the CFA building, but I was deftly directed by Hilary Robinson, the CFA Dean, to the Theater Arts complex. I saw one of my former students, Dave, who is working in the Volz lab in the School of Public Health, at the door, preparing people for exit interviews. Also, I ran into Roberta from the Carnegie Museum of Art, and was introduced to Fran from the digital studio at CMU. I met some of the Volz team from the School of Public Health at Pitt, who were raising awareness of environmental pollutants by using fish as indicators of environmental health.
The third floor of the exhibit is a compilation of artwork from museums and private collections. I saw a Borofsky piece and a piece by Raymond Saunders, as well as pieces on loan from the Carnegie Museums...A thoughtful combination of realistic, abstract, and conceptual works. The second floor was loaded with pieces like an 19th Century salon: Two- and three-dimensional works on the walls, suspended from the ceiling, and on the floor. There was the presentation by the Volz team, complete with dissected fish, a microscope to examine the various organs, and recipe cards for preparing species of fish which are various indicators of environmental health. I found William, Marissa, and Charles, and we met up with Chris, Patricia, and their daughter Elizabeth. We toured the galleries a bit longer, found two pieces by Chris and Patricia (appropriately displayed side-by-side), before we took leave of our friends for dinner out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home