Almodovar--Todo sobre mi madre/ All About My Mother
22:15, Thursday 24 May 2007
So, I received an email this week from Ornella entitled "What to do on a Thursday night when there is no choir practice." The email body highlighted the films of Spaniard, Pedro Almodovar. I have only seen one movie directed by him in the theater--Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios/Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, which I enjoyed many years ago. Tonight, I screened Todo sobre mi madre/ All About My Mother.
The movie was a tragicomedy of a nurse's life after a personal tragedy and her journey back to Madrid, to find her son's father. While in Madrid she comes in contact with the social work of the Church, and with the demimonde. The threads which link her present to her past are the theater (specifically A Streetcar Named Desire), the cinema (specifically All About Eve), and her former lover and son's father. Filled with the artifice of the theater and of the demimonde, as well as emotions running false and true, this movie moves us deeply while touching on pressing social issues. It won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language film in early 2000, best directed film in Cannes, and "a slew of other awards," as the graduate student introducing the film reminded us. Too bad Ornella could not have attended.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home