Saturday, October 03, 2009

Kidd Pivot

I did a load of laundry at 6.30 this morning, had breakfast (pumpkin muffins, bacon, soy chai) with Maureen in Regent Square, and went office supply shopping with Maureen east of her 'hood.
Karina was in a car accident, so we helped her out by standing next to her car while she unloaded it, going to the garage for her to store her car until the official assessment this week, and hanging out in Maureen's place with her.

I went this evening with Charles and Susan to see Kidd Pivot at the Byham Theater. Conscious of the present-ness of dance, the choreographer described the sense of loss and memory of loss to the audience after the show. I felt the fugue-ness of the movement vocabulary of the piece, which was called "Lost Movement." All the dancers joined the choreographer on the stage apron in answering questions at the end of the show. Repetition of movement themes/ movement vocabulary was paramount to the work. I asked after the Q & A period whether there were any themes that were supernatural or religious in the work (as there was a theme of death & rebirth), and I was told, no, the piece was mainly about loss and memory, of loss and remembering the loss. It was therefore successful in this regard.
The choreography and score reminded me of Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker, from Belgium, as well as movement snippets being similar to those of Mark Morris.
We enjoyed a snack at a cafe in Bloomfield afterward.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home