Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pamela's Diner, Adam's Organ Concert, and Annual Building Picnic

Maureen and I went early to a branch of Pamela’s Diner for breakfast. I had the Lincoln Special—two eggs, meat, Lyonnaise potatoes, and two hotcakes. MMM good! We discussed a book I have been assigned to read by one of my friends, which explains why he doesn’t want to take photographs any more. (It’s a novel / roman). I am about half way through the novel, and it is slow going, as it is stream of consciousness, with no paragraph breaks.
I prepared for class tomorrow and I attended Adam J. Brakel’s organ concert, the close of the summer concert series at Saint Paul Cathedral.
He opened with an impressive piece by Max Reger, Fanasia and Fuge in d minor, opus 135b (double fugue), followed by
Komm, Heileger Geist, Herre Gott (Franz Tunder)
Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend (J.S. Bach) from Leipzig chorales
St. Francis of Paola Walking on the Waves (Franz Lizst) translated to organ by Lionel Rogg

Scherzo from Symphony VI (Louis Vierne)
Hamburger Totentanz (Guy Bovet)
Adam chose, as usual, pieces that showcased his virtuosity, especially the Lizst and Vierne pieces, with rushing cascading notes from the stiff-keyed von Beckerath instrument. I had a chance to chat with various others from the congregation space after the concert, including with Adam.
The annual building picnic was great fun, I sat with Margery and Cheryl from my floor, Nancy from the floor above, and Roger, Richard, and his wife as well. The food was delicious, as usual.
I am tired, and will retire early this evening in preparation to teach tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home