Great Walk, the Royal Wedding
Yesterday Maureen and I went for a walk, saw a studnet, Alex., past the library (met a doggie named Wally and his owners), past and through Carnegie Mellon University (where we attempted to visit Wa's office and heard a piper band play, back to Saint Paul Cathedral and to Maureen's home (where we spotted another student, Shawn) to view her photos from last week.
~~~
Maureen and I promised to call each other to wake up around five o'clock this morning---we both slept lightly last night. I showered, dressed, and made my way to view the Royal Wedding on HDTV, the NBC local affiliate. Of the three high-definition stations I viewed, I liked their seamless coverage of guests arriving at Westminster Abbey and their walk down the aisle and to their seats.
The second hymn sung by the choir (before Ubi Caritas) seemed to be the one that John Rutter may have composed for the event. Jerusalem was sung, as well, which mentions the "satanic mills" before it mentions the "green" landscapes of Britain...never could understand why that song was so popular. "God Save the Queen" was sung next (is that based on a traditional drinking tune?) and QEII gracefully abstained from singing. The parents of the couple, along with the couple themselves, retired briefly to the chapel of Saint Edward the Confessor (the only English saint) to sign the registry.
As they arrived at Buckingham Palace for breakfast, the crowds from around the city closed in to see "the Kiss." Meredith Viera's NBC team noted that the ceremony started five minutes late (unlike British, and more like island time), and the egress to the balcony began a tad later than usual. After the two brief busses on the lips, QEII departed from the balcony, the RAF planes flew overhead (causing the youngest wedding party member, Grace van K, to cover her ears).
Kate's parents started an internet party store, with some of the products focusing on children's princess party and play supplies. A tad ironic, if you ask me. How does her family's position in society differ from any other Silicon Valley start-up magnate? It's newER money, but built on entrepreneurial wits.
~~~~~
I have met with two students this morning. I have one more to meet with today.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home