Saturday, June 11, 2011

Had a Hankering....

Had a hankering for ridge-cut thick-cut potato chips with sea salt and that onion-y dip, so I went grocery shopping at Trader Joes and at Market District.

~~~
me, hurrying for the elevator: Oh, wait, please...

as I arrive, a couple says:
he: I can never figure out which of these [buttons] is to hold the doors open
she: and I can't read Braille...wait, this one [she says, indicating a button] seems to be "doors open"...
he (rhetorically): But, what do these two buttons mean?

(a beat)
me: that one in the upper right corner seems to be a butterfly!

he (gesticulating his hands like a pair of butterfly wings)

~~~~~

I run into them again, in the candy aisle....They are bantering back and forth about whether or not to purchase orange-colored and -flavored slices. I try to mind my own business in the gummi section.

she: ...that's just junk.
he (ad libbing): but it's good, and tasty.

(They continue their banter for a bit)
she: ...it's made from BONES!

(a beat)
he: ....Oh, it has gelatin.
he: Wait,...(reading the packages) the first ingredient for all of these is corn syrup....Do these have gelatin in them?

(a beat)
me: The more protein!

(after several beats...)
me, grabbing a bag of gummis: This is the third time I've been here in the dollar bag section in a month, and every time I get at least two bags.

(They continue their discussion, and...)
me, continuing down the aisle and wishing them well: Good Luck!
~~~~~~~
Sometimes interactions with strangers can be stranger than fiction, and friendlier than most interactions. I'm glad I had these friendly interactions today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home