Music Plus: Concert Series at Saint James-- Trio Verlaine
Nancy invited me to a concert by Trio Verlaine at Fr. Tom's newest parish assignment. She heard about it through a mailing list.
Trio Verlaine consists of three friends, David Harding, Lorna McGhee, and Heidi Krutzen, playing respectively viola, flute, and harp together. They played
Four movements from Tombeau de Couperin (arranged by Morlock) by Maurice Ravel
Trio for flute, viola, and harp (commissioned for their group) by R. Murray Schafer
Sonato for Flute, Viola, and Harp by Claude Debussy
The commissioned work was sandwiched betwixt two works from around World War I, evoking many moods and emotions. Nancy and I especially enjoyed the second piece...I explained to Lorna afterwards that the color and emotion was evocative and that they played well together. At moments, the viola even sounded like an Australian didgeridoo playing chords. Also chatted about Scotland, music at Carnegie Mellon, etc.
Heidi explained by the harp at the altar that this harp was on loan from an[other: Pablo's] orchestra.
Nancy and I also spoke with David. We chatted about sound and the space, and we elucidated his hockey alignments by the end of our conversation together. I made certain to welcome Heidi and David to Pittsburgh.
Nancy introduced me to her friend, Sharon, who is one of the music directors at Fr. Tom's parish. Also met Donna, who was instrumental in bringing the group to the church, as well.
A wonderful way to spend an afternoon.
I also enjoyed the shortbread heart-cutout cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home