Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Bible Study- Newman's Sermon Number 4

Yesterday night I went to Bible Study facilitated by Fr. Steve L.  We read and discussed Newman's Sermon Number 4, Christ's Privation a Meditation for Christians.  Donna, Br. Leland, Laura were all there, and I met Chris afterwards, as well. 

Newman bluntly points out to his congregation in the homily that "[they] do not meditate and therefore [they] are not impressed [by Christ's sacrifices for each of them]."  I commented that most people get into habits, almost like gerbils or hamsters on a wheel, and do not consider, through deep thought and what is deep in their hearts the seed of Christ's love for them.  Fr. Steve mentioned that "you become what you think about."  Quite a thought-full and thoughtful thought to hold in one's heart.

I also commented that meditating on Christ is different than meditation on a piece of artwork---there is no give and take relationship between the object of meditation in a museum and oneself, whereas there is so in the meditation on Christ.  There, in the meditation on Christ, there is a relationship between oneself and the Christ; there is growth. 

Laura commented on brain mapping and practice.  I commented on this concept, as well, giving an example of one who has had a stroke who is building back functionality through building new neural connections.  Fr. Steve commented that in simply writing daily goals, one can make great strides in life.

I chatted with Donna, Chris, and Laura after the discussion. 

No snow or ice this past 5 days or so.  This may change tonight....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home