SAT 07 MAR 2020 to SUN 15 MAR 2020
SAT 07 MAR 2020- Spent this morning sorting papers to keep, scan, shred, and dispose/recycle. Watched bits of the Penguins' game against the visitors, the Capitals. We lagged behind for most of the game and finished with their trouncing us, 5 to 2. Just was one of those days.
We could be happy for someone---Jane M, who is a Capitals fan---and their winning would make for a bright spot in her day, bringing her joy.
D and M and I went to the Oratory for the late afternoon Mass, which was celebrated by Fr David Abernethy, and served by Br Joel Hammer. Stopped to say hi to Fr David, Kristin (formerly of choir), Dr Debbie, and the Miranda sisters. We all went to the local drugstore for supplies---I didn't think it possible to have even fewer eye care supplies, but there it was! Had dinner chez D and M. Helped them with their future pharmacy order.
Time to head home soon, for it is the first day of Daylight Savings time coming up. Good Night!
SUN 08 MAR 2020- Awoke early, chatted with MVK (some about COVID-19 = Coronavirus...I stressed that it isn't where people are from (noun, e.g., China or Italy), it's about the fact that they have been travelling (past tense verb) about interesting issues.
Finished sorting and weeding one dairy-size box at home of old materials/paper/realia. Had arroz caldo and took photos of D preparing biko. Drove to Heinz Chapel to get to RDK's organ concert, which was an hour of organ music by women composers, from the 1500s to the present day. Don and I chatted afterwards, and I thanked RDK for her performance.
Drove to the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Main branch and claimed 3 library books: One biography of Sally Ride, and two books to prepare for the event at the end of the week at work. Headed back and am enjoying preparing for the end-of-week work event and typing now.
MON 09 MAR 2020- Changed my retirement levels to double from when I enrolled at first. No go for water exercises classes.
CDC recommends that one avoid crowded places, long plane trips, and cruise ships.
TUE 10 MAR 2020- As of this morning: There are still no confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in western Pennsylvania. Up to 10 cases have been confirmed in the eastern part of the state.
Ordered 2 musical tickets for this weekend....
WED 11 MAR 2020- Early this morning:
HS junior - life on cruise ship w/ 21 people test positive for coronavirus
Bible Study with Fr Mike, 11 secular Oratorians, and Br. Mark Littlefield.
No visitors, POTUS announces no flights from the European Union (except the United Kingdom) on a late news-breaking program.
THU 12 MAR 2020- Before sunrise today--Pittsburgh Public Schools Employee Self-Quarantined Because Family Member May Have Been Exposed To Coronavirus – CBS Pittsburgh:
At ~10:30 AM our choir director indicated that there would be choir rehearsal tonight...
"To protect the health and safety of our students and community, spring break will begin on March 16, a week earlier than planned, and we will move to remote instruction starting on March 30, for the remainder of the semester. You can read more about the steps we are taking in my letter to the campus community, or visit Wellesley’s COVID-19 webpage for the latest policy decisions the College is making in response to this emerging situation.,,,
"These are remarkable circumstances for Wellesley and for the world. While my public health training tells me the decisions we are making are correct, that does not mean they are easy. As always, we will face this challenge as we have any other: with care, concern, and respect for each other, and with a commitment to the safety and well-being of our community.
"One of the most inspiring lessons I take from my many conversations with Wellesley students and alumnae from across the decades and around the globe is that the ties forged at Wellesley are strong, and endure. We will get through this, because we will do so together." (PAJ)
At about 13.00, from my supervisor:
If you are not well, STAY HOME! If you have contact with a loved one or someone you may care for with compromised health, please stay home. If you have any doubts, please let us know.
I responded with my personal situation. Everyone has been super-understanding.
BTW, we have postponed the work event scheduled for FRI 13 MAR 2020.
At ~ 15.40 I sent an email to my boss explaining my family situation re: COVID-19 virus exposure.
At ~ 16.20, our choir director emailed us:
Here's the update from the Diocese - We are cancelled indefinitely......for the time being......nearly all church events, including the obligation to attend Mass has been dropped.
At ~ 18.30, there was this email announcement from PITT:
20.10 from Steve Knapp, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, from his email:
Dinner of macaroni chicken salad, watched Jeopardy! with M.
MVK called, and we chatted and compared notes about COVID-19.
J O called, and chatted with M, D, and me.
FRI 13th MAR 2020-
Watch the ebony kittie walk past!! A corona virus is still out and about.
Very very early this morning (well before the crack of dawn) M wrote an email to TTina re: our not attending the St. Patty's Day party this Saturday. She was quite understanding.
The morning edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette had the following headline:
Local schools closed due to fears of virus exposure; universities will shift to remote classes
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2020/03/12/Colfax-K-8-closed-coronavirus-pittsburgh-PPS-carlow-university/stories/202003120106BF and SC's schools are still open.
Throughout the day I received several email missives from my supervisor, P, and our fearless scheduler/coordinator, M.
I listened with D and M to POTUS make the announcement that COVID-19 has brought about a National Emergency [televised newscast[. He made the announcement with scientists and members of the business community behind him at the podium (literally backing up his statements).
Soon after, I took a trip to the local drugstore for supplies, and to the local Dollar store for cleaning supplies. The cleaning supply aisles and shelves were sparse, but not as sparse as the empty shelves that DR depicted in her photos of yesterday afternoon.
At 18.40...and this, from the alert system:
Our museums will be closed for 14 days, effective March 14.
~18.50 from Steve Knapp, President and CEO, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, from his email:
Had a tasty dinner of sardines and mussels on rice, followed by leche flan nuggets, chez D and M.
Met up with S and her twin G for chats about the virus.
Thankful that we have such great supers (P and M, and L), and such a great coordinator (M).
My boss P sent us in my subdepartment a message from Stephen J Tonsor, Daniel G. and Carole L. Kamin Interim Director of the Carnegie Natural History Museum. He recounted that we may be offered remote work during the 2 weeks away from our [closed] museum.
Mayor Bill Peduto declared this evening at ~18.00 that the city of Pittsburgh to be in a state of emergency, immediately and banned gatherings of 250+ starting Monday morning at 9.00. This does not include companies of 250+ individuals, and he mentioned briefly that workers may bring their children to work, and as for those who cannot, the city plans to provide childcare. Please see the news clip, below:
'https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/03/13/mayor-bill-peduto-declaring-state-of-emergency/
Communicated with M and her spouse M re: how we're coping with/handling the "social distancing," and recent research published in Nature and possible impacts on museum educators.
Now for something lighter, on this night:
SAT 14 MAR 2020- Happy pi Day!
The Twitter.com interview (above) of an American in Italy by a CNN reporter
~~~~~
First presumptive positive case of COVID-19 in Western Pa. in Washington County
~~~~~
NB- I had to get more data for the phones because I have been using mine more than I usually do, for I have been at home more.
Came over chez D and M mid-afternoon. Had the tail end of the macaroni chicken pineapple salad M and I made. D had the last mussels, sardines we had last night whilst M and I had some lasagna from the store. I polished off the last bit of the leche flan nuggets, and M put D's biko into the "tanning booth" AKA, the broiler. M and I watched Jeopardy!, in which Vincent Valenzuela returned for a second chance at becoming the champion...
~~~~
Today, shortly after lunch hour ended, I received a message from the president of the facility where I go for water exercises:
"We are aware of reports of a first presumptive positive case of COVID-19 in Allegheny County.
"With this information in hand and in anticipation of a mandated closure of recreation and child care facilities as occurred in the eastern portion of the state earlier this week, the [exercise facility] is SUSPENDING regular operations of all programs and services effective 6 pm this evening for a minimum of 14 days until at least March 30th."
~~~~~
~20.00 I received a long email that read, in part:
"UPMC Develops New COVID-19 Test, Offers Testing to Select Patients UPMC has developed a test for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — and will use this test to diagnose select, symptomatic cases....
"
Read More
Anyone
whose sample is taken should self-isolate until results come back. If
it is positive, UPMC will refer the patient to public health authorities
and ensure ongoing care. All positive UPMC test results will be
“presumed” positive until confirmed by the
CDC or state public health laboratories.
People who suspect they have COVID-19 but do not have a high fever or breathing problems should call their primary care physician or use UPMC AnywhereCare, an online tool to get advice. Anyone with a high fever and breathing trouble should go to his or her local emergency department for evaluation and care. UPMC’s clinical experts and staff continue to work rapidly and diligently to keep our communities safe and are here to support you. For more information, visit the UPMC COVID-19 hub." 15 MAR 2020- "Beware the Ides of March, Pompey." ~9.15- I completed my census survey in one of the 13 languages in which it was offered (English). I did this on the WIFI connection on the computer. Already took care of D, M's earlier this weekend. Earlier this morning I got a reply email back from CJ, ma soeur Belge. Ton Papa est malade. Je prie pour ton Papa. ~9.45 In a quarter hour we will watch and celebrate the televised Mass from the Cathedral. Life goes on in a [sort of truncated] way... as I wrote to C,"Everywhere I go to, other than stores, are now closed: the museums, the swimming pool, and now the bishop says that [Mass attendance] is not mandatory on Sunday. I canceled my check-up appointment with my doctor tomorrow...[to avoid exposure to the virus]." ~~~~~ 10.00- Watched Sunday Mass from the Cathedral with M, with D. Wrote an email missive re: COVID-19. ~ 12.15 Spoke via Skype with CJ. We compared notes on the Corona Virus's effect on our lives, our lives separated by the ocean. After lunch, I took a nice nap, worked on the computer, scanned a number of items, and then had dinner with D and M. Watched the NBC Nightly News, and then watched The Imitation Game on Xfinity On Demand. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 After the movie ended after 21.00, I opened my email to this message from Kimo: ... Masses at the Cathedral will continue to be celebrated privately (with the Priest alone) and televised (on-line and on cable television) with the Presiding Priest replacing the Lector.... for further explanation, see the letter from Bishop Zubik, below: ~~~~~ All Masses in the Diocese of Pittsburgh Cancelled In light of increasing updates on and concerns about the coronavirus (COVID-19), Bishop David Zubik has made the decision to cancel all weekday and Sunday Masses in the Diocese of Pittsburgh effective Monday, March 16, 2020, until further notice. “Although in many ways it saddens me to make this decision, given the best advice from health experts on federal, state, and local levels, I feel it is a necessary one at this time.” I’m relying on the understanding and cooperation of all in the Diocese of Pittsburgh as we pray for each other at this difficult time,” Bishop Zubik said. ~~~~~ I end these Ides of March with these links:
WHO- Advice for the public
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-publicCDC- If You Are at Higher Risk
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html#take-everyday-precautions
Hey, we survived the IDES of MARCH!
|


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home