Visiting the New Office


I brought an office-warming gift for my brother in his new office at Carnegie Mellon University. It is a ceramic statue of two owls. He collects owl statues, and I can remember the first time I found that out.
We were in the Philippines visiting family and friends when we went to the palenke/tiang-gi/open-air market in Baguio, the summer capital. William had been haggling on the price of the carved wooden owl. I had encouraged him to haggle a little more. We left the seller's stall. The synapses were firing in his brain, and he had calculated exactly how much this owl would cost him in US Dollars---a minor amount of money. He told me how little the price of the owl was, then proceeded to purchase it.
So now Wawa has two owls in his office in Dougherty Hall. He started as the Director of the Science and Humanities Scholars Program at the beginning of August, 2005.
A week or so after I had visited his office, my parents and I stopped by. There are two photos of us visiting him.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home