Saturday, September 16, 2006

James Galway and Jeanne Galway--Heinz Hall

I had organized a field trip of choir members to hear James Galway at Heinz Hall last night. Tickets were purchased through PittArts, and our group sat in the gallery and family circle. Before the performance, Anjali, Jonathan, and I dined at our favorite Thai/Cambodian restaurant downtown. Gretchen and Nancy (soprani) and their spouses; Jennifer Lynn (alto), and Linda O. (cantor) rounded out our diverse group.

It was a pleasure to listen to James Galway play his signature virtuoso flute with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. The conductor played Rhapsody in Blue on the piano while directing the PSO. The last number was performed with Sir Jim Galway and his wife, Jeanne, an accomplished flautist in her own right; and the flute choir. Several familiar and popular pieces were performed last night. What a treat!

Along with other choir members, I met with the Galways after the concert, mentioning the other time that I had met Sir James--in Scotland after my sister Kelly's graduation--and he recalled that time, too. Some of my other family members were appalled that I boldly spoke to Sir James Galway at Kelly's graduation reception, but I was so pleased with his music that I felt compelled to share my sentiments with him. This time, I had a chance to meet with his lovely wife Jeanne, who was elegantly dressed "like a mermaid," as Anjali expressed it. What a pleasant, musical evening...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home