Monday, June 11, 2007

Visiting--Cambridge, Harvard

Friday I visited the Harvard campus after Larry, Chloe, and I enjoyed hot breakfast sandwiches at Starbucks and after Chloe was dropped off at preschool. I got an overview of the museums and saw the science buildings. On my way to Widener library, I noticed the gathering of a memorial service for Radcliffe alumnae, which I attended. I spoke with one of the readers, Jenny, after the service, who was a recent graduate. Apparently the service was written in the 1970's and has been used since then.

Quotes about Harvard___
I obtained a visitor's pass to Widener library, and, as I was asking questions about exhibits, was told to ask at another desk.

"May I just wander around?" I asked, expectantly.

"Sure," was the reply. "The hardest part is getting in."

So I wandered the building, which has been renovated.
~

"Where is the Conservation/Preservation department?" I asked.

"They're separate. There's special access to that part of the building."

~
At the Coop, member services,

"Your name is M., isn't it?" I asked the front desk client services agent. "I remember you from the last time I visited here."
____

I visited the map room, where I made a gift for Julie, Larry, and Chloe. I enjoyed the exhibits there, too.

I wandered to the Coop, (which is now managed by Barnes and Noble) and marvelled about how Harvard Square has become "mall-ified" from what I remember of the bookstores, used bookstores, and little shops. I decided to wander Cambridge later...

Today, I wandered around Brattle and Harvard Squares, struck by the changes (no gelato--Cafe Paradiso is closed for renovations, the Brattle Square Cinema is still there, Algiers restaurant is still there from when Julie and I ate last a few years ago, Booksmith is gone, the Indian restaurant across from the cinema is gone, no more campus-sponsored student-led tours). There was a battle/"jockeying for position" of the tour guides, which neither group won, as I walked away to catch the T to get lunch at the North End (see next-recent post, above).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home