Friday, September 21, 2007

Hip Replacement / I'm wondering...

if there are any people out there who have had successful hip replacement at less than 50 years old?

My earlier posts talk about my BAD (bilateral acetabular dysplasia), and I am wondering how others have dealt with the impending arthritis. I have gone to physical therapy, do water exercises, had the corticosteroid injection, (and need to) do more isometric exercises. It's the (literally) daily grind that gets me pain.

I've been told that I need hip replacements eventually, but want to postpone as much as possible. My orthopedist has also said the same. Since the current hip joint technology is such that the life of the hip is ~20 years, and my grandmothers have lived to 80+ to 90+ years (my great-aunt is now well past 95 years old), I want to postpone until the technology improves more, so that I can enjoy time without another surgery. Plus, at least I know how to deal with this particular pain.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home