Charlie Batch, March 2008

Today, Charlie Batch, one of the quarterbacks for the Steelers, came to read to a large group of children for a literacy initiative at the Homewood Library. His Mom introduced him. He read a book by Queen Latifah. I saw Mary Monaghan there, chatted with her for a bit, and told her and Suzanne (Communications) about the story of Beatrice seeing the CLP logo and recalling "baby"--the fact that she goes to baby lapsit at a[nother] branch with the CLP logo.
I met William there, and Beatrice and Marissa followed soon after. William had brought a Terrible Towel (Myron Cope had passed on earlier this month), which I enthusiastically waved at specific times before and after the reading. Beatrice and I waited patiently for him to autograph the Terrible Towel for her little brother (code name Jujube), who will be arriving sometime in the earlier part of April. As William said to me, "You're good at this [getting autographs from celebrities for unborn children]. You do it." So, since there was a precedent set with Twinkle's autograph from Mr. McFeely, I was bound to get an autograph from Charlie Batch.... Which Beatrice and I did.
After the autograph session, Beatrice played in the children's room of the library and pushed the "behbee" in the stroller. (She reminds me a lot of Miranda at that age, who received a stroller and doll from her other ninang.) We then went to their home to rest, relax, read, and eat a meal of lemon & pepper couscous and shrimp...delicious. I caught the bus home and am relaxing by reading, catching up on electronic correspondence, etc.
Labels: Beatrice, Carnegie, children, dining, family, library, niece and nephew, Pittsburgh, read, sports

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home