Fire Alarm on a Balmy Day
Today, most of my class had finished their independent variable data collection, so I sent them to the computer lab in the adjacent building until 45 minutes later. As they were finishing cleaning the lab, gathering their books and papers, the fire alarm went off. I reminded them to unplug hot plates, take items of value with them, as they exited. I grabbed the seating chart as I exited and mentally took roll at our designated meeting place. I reminded them to meet back in our lab before class ends, that I had locked the door, and they scattered to plot data in Excel in the computer lab.
When I returned at the agreed-upon time, some were already waiting. We did last-minute cleaning, and then had a brief discussion with overheads and Powerpoint slides about the data they had just collected today.
The weather, by the way, was balmy when we exited the building through increasingly loud, screaming alarms. I enjoyed the walk to and from campus today, with my (stately) cane and tugging my backpack-on-wheels with me.
Lunch, a couple of errands, and a nap followed.
Marissa and Beatrice have invited me to join them for an ice cream run. I gladly, unhesitatingly accepted.
~~~
Serendipitously, William had left a meeting with the dean up the street, so we met up and surprised Marissa and Beatrice with both of our presences. We had ice cream at DQ's (Mint Oreo sundae for me, plenty of babies) followed by dinner at Kassab's. Delicious hummus, gyro platter with a little bit of house dressing on the side. Yum. Beatrice charmed the waitress and the people at the table next to us.
William, Beatrice, and I returned to DQ's for a turtle sundae for William. Marissa spoke genealogy with her Mom whilst we dined there. Beatrice even "taught" her daddy the word "cane" which she had learned last week. She was making an attempt to get up (to walk?) and hold the cane concurrently. She was also corrected for trying to put her feet on the table's edge.
On the way home, we worked on inside voices. I played "big toe, little toe" with Beatrice, as I used to play "Low, high" with her balloon on the drive across the Birmingham Bridge.
What a nice way to end a great day as we crossed the Birmingham bridge, reopened again after several weeks closed for repairs.
Labels: alarm, Beatrice, biology, children, dining, genealogy, languages, library, museum, niece and nephew, Pittsburgh, work

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home