Early this week
Early this week, Monday, I attended the discussion of Pope Benedict's homily (from a little over a year ago) at the Newman Center with Fr. Mike.
~~~~~
Tuesday was a visit to an orthopedic surgeon, who stated that my surgery for bilateral acetabular dysplasia is elective--that is, I could elect not to have it, waiting until my hip pops out of the socket, when the surgery would be necessary (and emergency, I might add myself). He explained the process well, and even ordered a set of Xrays taken, which showed that my condition had worsened considerably since the pain first onset...in 2005 my pain was worse in my R hip, but the imaging (X Ray and MRI) showed worse arthritis in the L hip. Now, the situation is reversed--the arthritis is worse in the R hip, he pointed out irregular bone tissue at the femoral head position, etc. I am wearing my bones away myself (trying not to, though, with the use of a cane). I was satisfied with the way he answered my questions, but it doesn't help my pain, nor help my need to have surgery during the school year summer. He scheduled a next appt. for a half year later. Because I have no acetabulum on my R side, the femoral head is now at the point that it is wearing bone against the side of my hip.
I was glad that Mom and Dad were there for my first surgery evaluation.
~~~~~
Jonathan and I have Joe W. to thank for tickets to hear Salman Rushdie speak at Heinz Hall. He spoke about world politics and political figures, growing up in multiculural Mumbai (Bombay), religion, literature and its role in our lives. He suggested we read books not written by English-speaking writers, that we read outside our circle of influence. To paraphase him, he said that the role of literature is to broaden our awareness (not merely to entertain), to awaken our consciousness outside our circle.
Jonathan and I rode the bus back with Dr. Carol, my parents' neighbor, and we enjoyed a discussion about the talk the whole way home.
Labels: BAD, Church, international culture, thankfulness

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home