Thursday, March 13, 2008

Graduate School II

So, I still keep in touch with my friends from graduate school in environmental and soil sciences. We are all still email buddies and occasionally write to each other. Most notably, Katherine had married Bob, and added two more to their brood--she stays active with the Geological Survey. Lynn, my labmate and housemate, is happy back at SLO with her hubby; my classmate Jane and I talk occasionally and she still keeps in touch with the geomorphology groupies. Jane has a tenure-track position at a local community college. Jodi has a tenure-track position at the University of Idaho, and is still happily married with children. I don't know what happened to Julie C. and her brood, or to Sylvia, our then-undergrads in the lab. April and Wendy are still on Bob's website/radar, as is Debbie, the first graduate from the group. What a great group. All women. I "broke the barrier" [ha, ha] by being the first brunette in the group. We made quite a sight at the national meetings...the only all-female research group at the SSSA meetings.

I guess things have changed since the early/mid-nineties. More guys have decided to go into the environmental sciences. Bob's group has male alums now and I suppose there are more women in the other research groups, now, too.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home