Sunday, March 23, 2008

Holy Week 2008--Easter Vigil 2008

As I was on my way out their door for the Easter Vigil Mass, Mom and Dad encouraged me to feel better and recover a little more before standing in the drafty cathedral, as the bishop and the musicians and clergy entered. So Mom and I watched the Mass from the comfort of their home on Christian Associates cable TV.

If one is up for it, I highly recommend this Mass for attending each year. I have explained in years past how this is special, due to the light service, liturgy of the Word, rite of Christian initiation, and liturgy of the Eucharist. Daphne and Linda cantored tonight. Bishop Zubik was the main celebrant. We saw him insert into the Easter candle markers of Christ's wounds, light the candle, and process with it as the seminarians and clergy lit candles of parishioners in the dark Cathedral.

The litany of the saints was chanted by Daphne.
"Springs of Water" Alleluia was sung after each and every baptism.
"Hallelujah!" from the Mount of Olives by L. Beethoven was sung at the preparation of gifts.
"Be Known to Us, Lord Jesus," by C. Schalk was sung during communion, followed by brass pieces and by "Hallelujah!" from Messiah (G.F. Handel).

The Mass ended about three hours after it started, and I saw Nancy Mc, my alto seatmate from Christmas, graduating from RCIA.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home