Tuesday, July 29, 2008

LA Earthquake 5.8

I saw breaking news about a 5.8 earthquake in the Los Angeles area...
~~~
4:45 pm EDT
...which has been revised to 5.4...
~~~~
2:00 to 2:22 pm, PDT
My friend, who works at the USGS at Pasadena, emailed me:

it was a pretty good little shake!  It got my attention,
and I got
ready for further action!

And my uncle wrote:
Things went back to normal here at work,
a few minutes after the quake. We
didn’t even evacuate our building.

~~~~~
~8:23pm, PDT
My friend and a current Southern California geology professor emailed me:
All is fine except I was a little rattled! I was giving a test
to 17 adult students who got panicky with the shaking
which lasted at least 6 seconds. I remember yelling
"extra credit" as a joke and then telling them to get under the tables.
When I looked up a few seconds later every student was under their lab bench.
Amazing. I wish that they would always be so well behaved! We all hurried out
onto the lawn away from the building. And then we saw a big cloud from a landslide
on Cucamonga Peak. It was more than 15 minutes before the last of the dust settled
on the mountain.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home