Friday, October 17, 2008

Beatrice's Birthday 2008

Yesterday was Beatrice's birthday. For lunch, Beatrice, Solomon, Marissa, William, Mom, Dad, Les, Cherie, and I celebrated with her at lunch. We met at a pizza buffet, where she said, "Everybody hold hands...[Let's] sing 'Happy Birthday.'" She opened Lolo and Lola's gifts to her, a stuffed fluffy pig and a book. Then we continued the party at Chuck E Cheese. She had great fun there, and several photos were taken of her (some with Solomon).

The afternoon was uneventful...I went with William and Beatrice to the Wilkinsburg Farmers Market. Then we continued to the Asian Mart. I walked ahead, since I am slower than they. At the corner of Penn and Wood Street I was almost hit by a car.

I was almost hit by a car...

The driver was not looking for pedestrians, and came within ten feet of me. Her front-seat passenger was yelling at the driver and pointing at me. I had raised my cane up in a harried, useless move to defend myself. Somewhat shaken inside, I headed to the store, which was open only about five more minutes. I bought some baos, and took my time, so that William and Beatrice would have a chance to show up. They bought some coconut buns.

We headed chez Beatrice for her birthday dinner celebration. Marissa had prepared taco lasagna, sweet peg corn, and homemade cake (we opened presents before the cake). She had all of us hold hands and sing "Happy Birthday" (the traditional and the Mr. Rogers versions of the song) several times before dinner got started. Beatrice got a clear Kelly backpack from me for carrying her books from the library. Susie, Ed, and Will got her a doll with a pack-n-play crib and all the accoutrements. William, Marissa, and Solomon had got her a set of blocks (with Braille) and a blue, red, and green backpack...she was getting tired when I departed, and hadn't a chance to open all her gifts. She seemed enchanted by the doll.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home