Friday, November 07, 2008

Lab Birthday Party, November 2008

One of my students, DF, contacted me on Wednesday night, writing that she and one of her lab partners, CMc, had obtained a cake to celebrate the birthday of their lab partner, AS. They were asking for permission to celebrate in lab Thursday [yesterday].

I wrote to DF--

You all can eat the cake outside the lab--maybe you could snag a couple of chairs and set up outside the lab: the cake on one chair, on another chair the paper plates/sturdy napkins and forks.

I suggest you serve the cake after the [first past of the] lab has been started and you are preparing to do the [second part of the] lab. There is a small window of time, but everyone who wants to partake should be able to.

That said, you two can decide when you want to sing to A.! You can keep the cake in a paper bag/under wraps outside our door with a note on it until you are ready to serve.


Tom had stopped by the stockroom to purchase some supplies, and asked me, "What do you do [that makes them celebrate birthdays]?" I replied, "I don't do anything! They ARE that way."

I facilitated the party by providing two chairs in the hallway just outside our lab door, and even sang with a group of students "Happy Birthday" to AS. What a great light cake, with white frosting and berry-filled icing between layers.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home