Philippine Nationality Room Open House/Cultural Display 2008
I was the chair for the future Philippine Nationality Room's Cultural Display this year. Dee Dee and her Young Filipino-Americans of Pittsburgh provided the dance performances at 12:30 and 3:30 this afternoon. Teody and her catering team provided the food component of the open house, and I headed up the cultural education/fundraising portion in the incipient Nationality Room Classroom.
Karina, Maureen, Mom, Tita Tina, and Alroy helped move items (some stored by Cristina L. and I within the Cathedral of Learning) and to decorate the room. Maureen and I made a quick run to Mom & Dad's c/o Tito Larry for a carved wood tea set, a capiz shell Christmas wreath, and an extension cord. Warren brought Tita Mila L., who went to help with the cookbook and holiday card sales.
I gave a short spiel on the room to groups of 5-20 visitors---about the geography, clothing, costumes, parols, clay pots, malongs, etc.
Many people stopped in: Freddie stopped by to say hello; K, a former student, and her family; William, Marissa, and family; Myrna (who took photos of our room and group) and family; Cristina's family; Ken D.; Alroy F.; Tom B. from pastoral council; and Chad from the Newman Center; two groups of Girl Scouts, one group from the Baldwin area.
Andy M. and Jo-Anne S. helped us to pack up and move various items to light storage and our car, waiting, below.
After pulling away from the Cathedral of Learning in the bitter cold, Mom and I outvoted Dad for hot food first---chili---then moving the items back into our homes.
Labels: Philippines, Pilipino culture, Pittsburgh, PNR, volunteering

1 Comments:
You did a great job today! Thanks for inviting us.
--Marissa
Post a Comment
<< Home