Monday, October 12, 2009

Philadelphia, October 2009 II

After breakfast at Honey's on 4th Street and Brown Street, Sara and I caught the bus to Chestnut St. downtown at 4th Street. We walked by the caleches to the Independence Mall, saw the Liberty Bell. Sara was struck by the connections to the Abolitionist and Suffragette Movements. Then we walked to the Visitor Center, and I bought postcards. Then, it was off to Franklin Court to drop off the postcard to the Post Office. (It was closed today, Columbus Day.) We did see a movie on the life of Ben Franklin. "He was a dude," Sara claims. We saw a replica of a glass armonica and I remembered a diorama of a French ballroom from when I was little. I was absolutely disgusted by the privy pits being SO close to the well. EEuw!

Then, we walked toward the Famous Fourth Street Delicatessen, stopping in at Old St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and at Dr. Physick's office. Old St. Mary's is where many a Catholic worshipped. It was the only RC Church building in the English colonies for quite a while. I had THE Matzo Ball Soup, with a matzo ball the size of a softball (or, for that matter, the size of a newborn's head).

I bought a great handbag on Fourth Street, and a rainscarf at Seventh Street. Sara and I caught the bus for Ross, where Sara bought some clothes. Then, off to Reading Terminal Market, where we shared canele, a bread-pudding-like pastry with a carmelized coating. I got some dried fruit for Dad there, too.

We stopped by the American Institute of Architecture store, and chatted about the LOVE Indiana sculpture with the cashiers. Then, we continued on Arch Street to Broad, then left on Cherry Street. We were early for the Peace and Social Concerns Committee meeting at the Race Street Meetinghouse. Sara kindly invited me to sit in on the meeting. After the meeting ended, Sara and I walked to the El station with Elisabeth and Kate. Sara and I ended up walking back to her home, and we got Trenton tomato pie at Trio's Trattoria. The downtown skyline was marvelous.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home