Sunday, November 15, 2009

Swing Dancing, November 2009

Went swing dancing with Maureen and Christina tonight. There were a number of regulars there: Andrew, Philip, Larry, and I also danced with Maureen's new acquaintance, Bob, and a couple of other guys. We saw Marie and Julie on the way out.

We stopped at Eat N Park and enjoyed lemonade and a chocolate shake as well. I saw one of my current students, and we spoke with each other for a bit. I stressed that to enter Pitt one must have the mental capability to do the work...it's just a matter of focussing and working. I paraphrased the eulogy for Ted Kennedy given by his son: That his dad said we will win the sailing competition not because we are the best sailors or the smartest...we will will the competition because we work the hardest and are the best prepared.

"You have the ability. You just have to be willing to work really hard."

It's obvious to me that you enjoy the lab and are good at it...you just have to apply yourself and work.

We talked of a number of other issues, and then I left to enjoy my lemonade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home