Saturday, January 30, 2010

Friday in the Third week of Ordinary Time 2010, Coco

Today I lectored at the morning Mass. Fr. Breier celebrated Mass, John served, and Don provided the music ministry. The first reading was from 2 Samuel, the passage about David's asking to put Bathsheba's husband in danger during wartime. There was at least one audible "tsk" that I heard from the congregation when reading that key phrase. Fr. Breier delivered a homily primarily about God's grace.

As the temperature this morning was six degrees Fahrenheit (well below freezing), and windy and sunny, I took my breakfast then proceeded to take a long winter hibernation for the good part of the morning. Karina and I had lunch at the Japanese-Korean restaurant in Oakland, stopped at the post office to pick up stamps and to mail Jonathan's birthday card, and stopped at the campus and public libraries for computer lab work and for Karina's items on hold. I stopped by at home to check my messages, send a fax, and then met up at Karina's to produce the first in my earth-water-wind-sea necklace and matching bracelet series. Karina had prepared a cup of spiced chai for my enjoyment when I had arrived out of the cold. Maureen arrived when I had completed stringing about two-thirds of my necklace. I felt a great sense of accomplishment, and Karina shored us up with her homemade soup for the long evening.

We stopped at the bookstore in Shadyside to run an errand, then proceeded to the Mall in West Mifflin for the MaxiSaver movie, Coco before Chanel. We decided on a stop for fast Mexican food first, then watched the movie in a practically empty theater.

Coco Avant Chanel was about the rise of the phenomenon of Coco Chanel from personal setbacks and tragedies. It focusses on her personal life, as the title suggests, before she made a household name for herself; before Jackie Kennedy wore a signature Chanel suit to meet the President of France. Her personal life and ensuing decision to focus on her career in a time when a typical French woman was expected to become a wife was touching. Coco Chanel was a woman with a particularly striking visage who entered the fashion field when it was still dominated by men. She made a name on simple, practically austere looks and elegant, simple lines. She changed women's fashion from binding Victorian corsets and rules to flowing, comfortable lines. The music in the movie was particularly moving.

After the movie we went to a large superstore and went grocery shopping. Boy, it's late.

I'm pleased to have received an email verifying that the health emergency Thursday afternoon has resolved itself.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home