Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Othello

I went to see Othello with the Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre at the Stephen Foster Memorial. Absolutely Powerful, riveting, and produced and performed with a sense of the historical place of the play in theatrical history. Natalie had recommended that I see it, and I noted that she was the dialect coach for this production.

Andrew S. Paul's director's notes make a point: It turns out that there has been a spate of productions of this piece since the election of Pres. Obama. One production even set the play in the present, and "switched" the casting of Othello and Desdemonda's father (the Duke of Venice)---with her father portrayed by an actor who is a look-alike for Mr. Obama.

The play was viewed by about 43 others and myself during a Tuesday morning production for school groups. The group today was from, I believe, Mt. Lebanon.

Javon Johnson portrayed Othello, with Desdemona portrayed by Allison McLemore. The complex character of Emilia was portrayed by Shelley Delaney.

Iago was portrayed exceedingly well by Michael Hanrahan, presenting a valid reason for folks "not to lie, not to tell untruths."

~~~
14.40 Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Folk Dancing, May 2010
I went folk dancing yesterday evening in my neighborhood. We danced a number of Hungarian dances, Israeli, Turkish, Kurdish, Zemer Atik (Israeli), Black Nag (English Country dance), and other dances. It was great fun. We also enjoyed Ellen's blowing out her birthday cake!

I hurried home to watch the finale of "Dancing with the Stars" with Mom. Nicole and Derek won over Evan and Anna. It was fun to watch contestants from the whole season perform, as well.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home