Hugo
Yesterday we spent time getting ready for the final practical exams next week. Afterwards, Charles stopped by to pick up me, then the whole rest of the gang to go to the movie Hugo. (It turned out that we had to pick up neither William, who was sans famille for the week, nor his coworker Christine, as they also drove. So,) we spent some time chit chatting whilst in the vicinity of the sparkly lights of Oakland. The weather hovered around the low 40's Fahrenheit, and so it was good to walk. We picked up Susan from downtown exercise, and headed to meet William and Christine at the movie theater in Homestead.
I knew very little about the movie Hugo before viewing it: Something about an orphan who spends his time winding the clocks of a Paris train station. The movie was more than engaging---enchanting, as Susan put it---with magical moments, and moments during which I found myself covering my head. William had read the book when it had been released several years ago, and Beabs has read it, as well.
Incidentally, I found myself spending part of the beginning of the movie trying to figure out if it were filmed in French and dubbed into English, as I did not know Martin Scorcese had been a producer of the film. Additionally, part of the charm of the movie was the use of unusual words which had French/Latin etymology such as the Inspector's use of the word "apprehend," similar to the French verb apprendre. The acting by the two leads---both children---was nothing short of delightful.
I lost track of time during the movie...
Labels: cinema

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home