Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dancing Last Night...Strangest and Stranger and Not-So-Strange Lead Dancers

Christina and I went salsa dancing last night, I for the first time in this locale, and she drove.

The first half hour to hour was a basic--> (leading into) an intermediate dance lesson. My partner, whose name I have blocked from my memory, was the strangest lead I met that night. He wanted to improvise, and when push came to shove, he refused to follow the directions of the teachers. "Why don't we just do the basic step?" I gently encouraged, when he would start wildly jerking his hips in time not to the music playing over the speakers (there was a great DJ). He then stared, smiling at the floor adjacent to our feet. Truly an ODDfellow. [Strangest of the evening---no, of the month---...awardee.] I was relieved to find him not present to dance with less vocal follows after the lesson.

I met Christina's friends Sean and Todd, and danced with each of them and with Harold and with Dave [who stated that he had run the marathon last Sunday under 4'50".] I also met and complimented the dancing of Kathy by the water vessels, and then later danced with Steven, who skateboards. I sat down for a moment with Christina and Sean, and one of Sean's acquaintances, who fluffed Christina's hair, and invaded our table. After I got him to stop calling my friend by a generic moniker, he invited Sean out to Primanti's with Cathy and himself. ...Kathy then showed up at the table, inviting to Primanti's. [Oh, That Kathy,]

These incidents were somewhat typical of Pittsburgh:
~ The desire to go to Primanti Brothers for sandwiches after a late night out dancing
~ Everybody knows each other
~ Experienced leads are generally friendly and willing to dance with newbie or intermediate dancers
~ One can [and probably will] meet the gamut of dancers.
~~~~~~
Yesterday, I was also glad to work on my first list for travel, as well as to check off those packed items.

~~~~~~
A nice piece for les exercises de ronde de jambes is Chopin's Waltz No. 7 in C# minor.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home