Beasts of the Southern Wild
Yesterday Auntie Chi and I took the bus to Liberty (spotted Maureen as she passed the bus stop to Mass), another bus to Squirrel Hill (where I spied Solomon in the window of Dunkin Donuts, and then met up with Beatrice, Marissa, and their friends passing through Pittsburgh from New York City), we went window-shopping, and then Auntie Chi and I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild at the Manor Theatre. A sad movie about the poor in the Southern Louisiana bayou, it was filmed shortly before the British Petroleum oil spill there. It's won awards and attention at Cannes and the Sundance festival. The father-daughter pair in the film are amateur actors who blew us away/ blew us out of the water with their soulful craft. The daughter is a six-year-old girl who had the scenes explained to her before acting, and the father is a baker.
An early dinner at Eat and Park followed, and we both enjoyed the liver and onions. We stopped at the Squirrel Hill public library for some CDs (Telemann string by MAK, and Turandot) and returned to home. Maureen and I walked to return the Batman DVDs before the Oakland branch of the library closed. Auntie Chi took a nap, and we were eating pancit and eggroll snack when Mom and Dad returned from the medical society annual golf outing and dinner. It was Beatrice's second performance with the group and she nailed it after 2.5 practices. We are proud of her.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home