Saturday, December 08, 2012

End of Final Practicals Week, Fall 2012

Lunch with Bishop Zubik---
Yesterday marked the end of final practicals week for me.  I met up with Dave S, Aaron, Benoit, and Steve and we all attended lunch with Bishop David Zubik downtown in the Highmark Building.  I saw Marie (whose family and siblings I know, as well, from the Oratory) and met Deacon Alex (who promised to say hello to Renee for me) and Meredith O.  Bishop Zubik spoke about the Church alive!  his encounter with a Catholic-turned- Buddhist on a plane flight (which so touched the man and his family that it became an LA Times article, "My brother and the Bishop"), a question, "Are you excited about Faith?" and, finally, five issues about the Church as body of Christ.  We are not alone/ on our own, as the Holy Spirit is with us, and we, as the Church, are with other people:
1.  the Eucharist and receiving it
2.  being enthusiastic about Learning about the Faith
3.  being Evangelizers, People of Good News
4.   Faith Formation (e.g.--Bible Study, prayer groups, and retreats)
5.  Stewardship (not just monetary gifts, but gifts of time and talents.  These gifts are developed to build the living Church

These five issues are important to building the Church as alive as can be!  After addressing questions and commentary, we all enjoyed fellowship and lunch.

My lunch was a green salad with homemade croutons and Italian balsamic vinaigrette dressing, English style spots broiled in seasoned bread crumbs and topped with lemon butter sauce, served with Tuscan green beans.
~~~~~
Chat with Annabelle---
Our little group caught a 61 bus back to Oakland and I spent a couple hours chatting with Annabelle about music, education, family, and world issues.  I came originally to drop off the two most recent CDs pressed by my friend, S. 

Came home to grade a tad, then eventually ended up helping create gift bags for the party today.
~~~~~
PAMS Christmas Party 2012---
Today, I stopped at Giant Eagle to pick up breakfast food for the volunteers at the PAMS Christmas party at Edgewood Country Club.  We set up table decorations, organized the room, set up the gift bags for "Mano Po atsaka Lola," and made certain the room was ready for the Mass.

Tita Bening's brother, the priest, celebrated Mass on this day, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (one of my favorite Feast days).  Dad was the altar server; the Acevedo sisters, Caring I, and the choir (of which I was a part) provided music ministry.   This was followed by the CME program on transdermal pain management (during which Tita Peggy and I made craft items---I embellished my earrings and made a complementary pendant, and we made "wands"), during which lunch was beginning to be served.  Pres. Ric A gave a short address, and the afternoon program consisted of poetry recitations (of Dr. Ric Santiago's favorite poem), songs by solo singers and by (family) groups, and a litany of reminiscences by Mom.  Karaoke ensued, broken in by a group of us women singing Abba's "Dancing Queen."

Lunch was delicious, and was further supplemented by gift merienda snack bags for PAMS members.  Mano po Lola was immediately followed by gift stocking caps/ bags for the children.  Kristi was seen cutting to size photos her dad had taken, which were handed around and gifted to one and all.

Take down followed, and we all lent hands to it.

Home again, and Mom and Dad have both settled down for a long winter afternoon's nap---Dad in front of the television, and Mom in their bed.

What a fulfilling ending to final practicals week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home