Just One More Performance this Weekend...
Today after singing in choir for Gaudete Sunday, I went for lunch and a brief nap before heading back to church. I entered to hear the Cathedral Ringers (hand bell choir) practicing. Soon after, we---the choir---practiced the first few songs of the concert, Music for Advent & Christmas.
The concert consisted of choral, choral with organ, and also handbell renditions of Advent and Christmas songs. The St. Paul Cathedral Ringers (hand bell choir) is directed by Ken Danchik and was joined by the Saint Paul Cathedral Choir directed by Don Fellows. The organ accompaniments were played mostly by Ken, and occasionally by Don.
The concert program consisted of:
Alma Redemptoris Mater (Giovanni de Palestrina)
E'en So, Lord Jesus, Quickly Come (Paul Manz)
Sleep, Holy Babe (Robert Farrell)
Of the Father's Love Begotten (Robert Farrell)
A Sound of Angels (Christopher Tye)
Coventry Carol (Martin Shaw)
sung by the choir accompanied by Ken on the organ;
followed by three Old English carols by the hand bell choir:
Masters in this Hall
The Friendly Beasts
On Christmas Night
(all three pieces arranged by Kenneth Danchik).
All present stood for a hymn,
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
(choir makes our way to the loft)
Followed by two carols by the Cathedral Ringers:
God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (arranged by Douglas E. Wagner)
Gentle Mary Laid Her Child - Tempus Adest Floridum (arranged by Cathy Moklebust)
All present stand for the singing of
People, Look East! (Eleanor Farjeon)
Finally, the choir sang
A Babe Is Born (Robert Farrell)
Christmas Lullaby (John Rutter)
Gesu Bambino (Pietro Yon)
Where Shepards Lately Knelt (Carl Schalk)
Sir Christemas (William Mathias)
It was a great concert, I had asked Dad to take photos of us whilst at the altar---I waved twice farewell as we departed from the Sanctuary. Poor dad, Mom prompted him several times to take a photo, but he wouldn't. I descended from the choir loft to find him wanting to take my photo in a pew. I later told him that I was greatly disappointed. My friend, N, overheard us exchanging thoughts on the matter, and commented.
~~~~~
Sunday night (yesterday) I briefly waited for Maureen at my parents' party, where I spoke with Alva and her family. It was nice to see them again, and to wish them Happy Holidays. Maureen and I went to Trader Joes, where I spotted a friend of mine who is a music therapist. Also went to Target as well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home