Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Passing of E. L. Konigsburg

I am saddened by the fact that one of my most favorite young adult/children's book authors passed away just a little over a month ago:  E. L. Konigsburg.
see
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2713.E_L_Konigsburg

The first book I read by her, when I was a middle-schooler, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, was sheer delight, and I am proud to say that I was able to be a coordinator/ administrator of a program which ran (and runs) every weekend at a large East Coast science center:  the Camp-In program.  Basically, I coordinated this program which permits children and their youth groups to sleep overnight at a museum!  Just like Claudia and Jamie in the Newbery-medal-winning book.

The last book I read by her was Father's Arcane Daughter.  Quite quizzical.  Mysterious.  One of the reviewers wrote it was like another book called The Westing Game, with which I am unfamiliar.  Must look up a copy.

E.L. Konigsburg---what a gifted storyteller, who crafted dialogue, details, and environment to draw us in to savor her pages individually!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home