Don's Concert
After singing in choir at noon Mass, I continued to help Mom with her weekly homework and quiz for this week (from this morning). We had lunch of bagels, Neufchatel cheese, and oven-smoked maple lox with tomato slices. I hurried off to the Cathedral Concert Series concert performed by our very own organist and music director, Don. The program consisted of:
~Marche Pontificale (from Sonata I) by Jacques-Nicolas Lemmens
~Two works for organ
Trio in D minor, BWV 678
Toccata in D minor (Dorian) BWV 538 by J. S. Bach
~Two Choral Preludes
Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silent
Salve Mater by Robert Farrell
~Sonata I in F minor, Opus 65 by Felix Mendelssohn - Bartholdy
~Ciacona in D minor (16 variations) by Johann Pachelbel
~Piece Heroique, Opus 7 by Cesar Franck
We greeted the performer in the narthex after the concert, seeing Dan the musicologist, Renee the executive administrator, Linda (who cantored today's noon Mass), Mariann, and Bob (who composed the choral preludes), et al. A group of over a dozen of us headed to our (Don's) favorite pub, and enjoyed dinner together. We met Jess's boyfriend, Sean, as well. The altos were well-represented at our end of the "Mickey Mouse" table configurations, with my being sandwiched between Monica and Donna.
As we walked back to the Cathedral, I told the story of how we serendipitously sang at the Protestant Cathedral in Dublin, and how I overheard two administrative assistants talking:
A (hushed): What did they sing?
B (hissing): Stabat [sic] Mater!
Time for email communications and grading!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home