Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pittsburgh's Big Duckie, Beata's class-y Birthday Party

This afternoon after lunch Maureen, her friend Pat, and I all took a 71B bus downtown to Wood Street and found our way to Point State Park, where the Big Duckie is moored.  It was visible from the wooded trail above, as it is forty feet tall.  Crowds of  people milled about the duck and a few kayakers in duckie yellow shells were visible.  I made certain that I had various angles of the duck, me with the duck,  duck without me, me in front of the duck hamming it up, me in front of the duck making duck faces...etc. etc.

We stopped at Prantls on Market Street to pick up Duckie cookies, but to no avail.  We hopped on a 61 bus back to Oakland, and enjoyed our walk back.

I met up with William's family at Karaoke on Craig Street for fourteen children singing, dancing, playing maracas and tambourine to the large-screen karaoke television experience.  I later explained to Marissa that it was just like teaching a lab, except the kids can select what they want to do, and you have less control over the outcome...and it's louder.  And they're all 10 years younger!

We organized the picking up of jackets, the depositing of gifts in bags, and the picking up of gift bags for each child.  Then, the whole gang headed across the street to frozen yogurt treats.  The party ended within a half hour of arriving at the fro yo location.  Much fun was had by all involved. 

I took an hour-long nap after, had dinner, and worked on preparing for next week's teaching:  I will teach six classes next week (hopefully) ONLY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home