End of a week of Student-driven Experimentation for Proposals
Yesterday was the end of a week of student-driven experiments for group grant proposals. After an introduction to the lab, a tour of the lab, and a review of safety, students huddled over their notebooks and conducted group-driven experimental activity.
Thursday afternoon I was evaluated for about 1.5 hours by Joel from CIDDE on campus. Friday morning we debriefed.
My frosh programs class met with ZOU Xiuying at Hillman Library for a tour and library instruction yesterday.
Thursday I invited my folks and Maureen to Pitt night at the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, which was yesterday. Mom was tired and was having complications after her visit to an eye doctor, so she declined for herself and Dad.
Maureen and I met the group for transportation via buses to Heinz Hall. Amy helped us find our tickets, and Linnea made announcements. From http://www.pittsburghsymphony.org/production/36362/carmina-burana
comes the following information:
~~~~~
Artists
Manfred Honeck, conductor
Lisette Oropesa, soprano
Andrey Nemzer, tenor
Hugh Russell, baritone
Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh
Program
| Beethoven: | Overture to Fidelio, Opus 72 | ||
| Stock: | Sixth Symphony (World Premiere/PSO Commission) | ||
| Orff: | Carmina Burana |
About This Performance
The 2013-2014 BNY Mellon Grand Classics season opens with one of the most recognizable works of all time – Carmina Burana. Based on 24 of the poems found in the medieval collection Carmina Burana, this 20th-century choral masterpiece has been heard countless times in film, television and even at professional sports events. Also on this dynamic program: Acclaimed composer David Stock, one of the PSO's Pittsburgh Composers of the Year, premieres a work written specifically for his hometown orchestra.
~~~~~
To follow tradition for the first night of the PSO season, we all stood for the Star-Spangled Banner, followed by the moving Beethoven piece. The Stock piece sounded like film music, followed by an intermission before the performance of the Orff piece.
Dave B from choir had mentioned to fellow choristers that he was now on the BOD of the Mendelssohn Choir, as well as singing in its bass section. I spotted him on the top row last night. The Orff piece rolled over the audience as a wall of sound, powerful and moving. The secular lyrics, the cycle of the piece, and the interpretive color of the soloists was notable. The soprano, Lisette, emoted well throughout her solo movements, as she deftly sang a three-octave range. The high movement was was notable. The tenor Andrey gave a fine first performance of the roasting swan, and the baritone Hugh R sang and acted out the part of a drunken tavern-goer, bringing the audience to laughter. The orchestra (especially the percussion section, which rang out as a tight ensemble) and Mendelssohn choir operated as a tight, well-practiced group. Almost all movements were candidates for recordings. The audience leapt to its feet soon after the last strains of "O Fortuna" at the close of the piece.
Maureen and I took the elevators down from the Gallery (where I spotted Leona S), and chatted with Debbie S and Leona over dessert pastries and beverages for Pitt Night. After some short introductory remarks, Manfred Honeck spoke and Maureen and I met Andrey, Lisette, and Manfred.
I spotted Caitlyn , a student from work, in the lobby and on the bus on the way home. Maureen and I made plans to see the forty-foot duck Saturday (today).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home