FRIDAY- Preparing to watch Pope Francis @ the United Nations, and FRI morning
Talked to Mom and Dad this morning. We are preparing to watch Pope Francis deliver his address to the United Nations General Assembly.
Saw him listening to children singing before his address to the U.N. Assembly, then saw his speech. Then I saw part of his visit to the September 11 Memorial, where he greeted families of the fallen on September 11, 2001. Then he visited inside the memorial building, where there was a multi-faith service with various representatives of the varied religions in New York City reading prayers, singing songs (a wonderful tenor cantor sang a song of lamentation), and reading readings. As I departed at 12.19 I heard young people singing "Let Peace Begin with Me." I then went to a work meeting.
I saw Regina and Christine in the computer lab after our meeting, and returned to Mom and Dad's in time to watch the Pope arrive at Our Lady Queen of Angels School in East Harlem. The children outside were chanting, "Holy Father, we love you!" outside of the school.
After he entered the school, the children were singing "The Prayer of St. Francis." He spoke to individual children, including unaccompanied immigrant minors, one of whom gave Papa Francisco a signed soccer ball. After his speech in Spanish to the children, who are >80% Latino, and during which he "gave them homework" to pray for him, he asked for them to sing, and two parent groups did.
17.38 Papa Francisco just finished his procession through Central Park 70th to 60th Avenues in the Park.
He is scheduled to celebrate Mass at Madison Square Garden at ~18.00.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home