(More than a) stroke survivor!
Mom is a stroke survivor! She had hers Saturday evening while Dad, Kelly, Kyle, and I were visiting her in the hospital for another condition. But she is more than a survivor---she was regaling us with stories, a Filipino ditty, and stating the lyrics to all the Frank Sinatra songs as Kelly played them on her phone. She spent some time chatting with her cardiologist yesterday.
Yes, the F.A.S.T. mnemonic holds true---and I thanked Auntie Chi for our discussion long long ago about stroke symptoms---before "Face, Arms, Speech, Time" became an acronym:
http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/WarningSigns/Stroke-Warning-Signs-and-Symptoms_UCM_308528_SubHomePage.jsp
In this instance, Time was of utmost importance....As soon as she displayed a couple of signs Saturday night, Dad and Kelly and Kyle stayed with her and I dashed to the nurses station to tell Cheryl. She called the stroke team immediately. Dr. Daniel arrived with them. They evaluated her and went to do a head scan before administering TPA.
William arrived, and we waited. The doctor who performed the procedure retrieved us and showed us before and after images. We were impressed and grateful. We visited her, then, very early Sunday morning, and she seemed irritated with her pain (ever-so-rare for Mom), but verbal. William and I went home and ~3.00 Sunday she passed her neurological test. Her quote I heard in the background when I spoke to Dad on the phone Sunday morning is in the previous posting:
I have a new life
We are so happy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home