Wednesday, July 27, 2016

WED- Bible Study, Working on a Syllabus and Organizing a bookshelf, Novena of Our Mother of Perpetual Help

Bible Study, Working on a Syllabus and Organizing a bookshelf, Novena of Our Mother of Perpetual Help

Today Mom, Dad, and I drove to Bible Study.  Fr. Drew was back from a fishing trip in Scotland!  We read the readings for this SUnday, the Eighteen Sunday in Ordinary Time:
First Reading:  Ecclesiastes Ecc 1:2; 2:21-23 (which I proclaimed for the group)
Second Reading:  Col 3:1-5, 9-11
Gospel Reading:  Lk 12:13-21

Of the first reading, we spoke about
healthy boundaries
giving purpose and meaning to suffering:  To unify to the Christ
Wisdom will toil within me
everything will be provided
Humility is a lack of pride

A woman in our group of 21 (including Fr Drew) noted that the third sentence of the first reading showed how the speaker was looking at another, NOT being introspective [and examining self].

The second reading showed Paul, the Christ-centric writer, telling us to focus on what is above, not of what is [vain, vanity and] of earth.  Fr Drew noted that the passage, "you have taken off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed...in the image of its creator," refers to the baptismal clothing of virtue---which is too large, like a new life which one must grow into.  I noted that that same passage occurs at least two to three more times in Paul's letters to the Colossians.

The Gospel reading is Luke's recounting of one of his fifteen parables:  The parable of the (foolish) rich man who builds bigger barns/silos for his abundant harvest.  Fr Drew mentioned [Saint] Mother Teresa mentioning the great poverty seen only in the First World---poverty not seen in lesser developed countries. 

We three went to Eucharistic Adoration afterwards.
Went to Mom and Dad's to work on the activities for my students on my syllabus.
I went home to organize/ weed a bookshelf.
This evening I had a snack and went with Mom and Dad to the Novena for Our Lady of Perpetual Help.  Fr Adam V and Seminarian Tom G  did the service.  Kelly's last day at the von Beckerath was this evening.
Got temporarily locked in the annex---I got some assistance getting out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home