TUE, WED- How about that, Simone Biles?
Tuesday was a day Dad and I accompanied Mom to her hairstylist whom Phyllis used to see. Dad had a trim, too, while I sat in the other chair. We went for sandwiches, burgers, frosty, and fries afterwards! Then a moment of shopping in the same plaza. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper approaching the tunnel.
We watched the Olympics, and Simone Biles spun, twisted, and soared to new heights to take the gold in the floor exercises. Ally Raisman also gave a virtually flawless performance to take the silver in the floor exercises. (A British woman took the bronze.) They were interviewed by Bob Costas after winning the event and were excited over eating fries (Finally!), and the prospect of sharing pizza with Zac Efron.
Apparently, Zac was pretty excited to meet them, as well. See the Today Show clip:
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2016/08/17/zac-efron-says-he-was-nervous-to-meet-simone-biles-the-final-five/
At the end of the interview with Bob Costas, he had them take the show to a break.
Today (WED), Dad, Mom, and I went to Bible Study and to the chapel for Eucharistic Adoration afterwards. The readings were for the Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time (Cycle C), and read these readings:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/082116.cfm
in a group of 21 (including Fr. Drew Morgan).
I proclaimed the first reading, Is 66:18-21, from the School of Isaiah. We discussed it, saying that Israel is a nation that was soon understood in a new way (see the last sentence): As a beacon to nations, as a nation with largesse. There was the insight that the gifts were not just for oneself, the gifts were not just for one people, but for all.
After reading the second reading, Heb 12:5-7, 11-13 , we discussed various translations, as well as being baptized to be "born into and immersed in the Trinity; being realistic about our crosses (dying to self to set us free/ to liberate us from ourselves);" and when we pass on, we become one in courage to the Paschal Mystery. Pope John Paul II said that sin is its own punishment.
A key to Catholicism is "humility. How can I help others to prosper? How can I build up others?"
The Gospel Reading was read Lk 13:22-30, and then we discussed it. The first quote appearing in the Gospel is based on the minority opinion belief that only a few of the select will be saved, the majority opinion being that only the select (Jews) will be saved. The Gospel blows that away, saying that that is parallel in many ways to the older, pre-Vatican II belief that "outside the Church there is no salvation," vs. all peoples can be open to the transforming power of God.
We then shared a joke about Heaven: "What's that distant laughter?" "O, that's the Catholics...they think they're the only ones who are here."
Then, we went to the chapel, then I helped Dad with his malware (660+ questionable files needed to be removed!) but he ran out of time and I had to get to my physical therapy. I got there just as it started to rain. I'm progressing well, so my PT Shanna gave me four more ("Jane Fonda") exercises to do.
I then went in the rain to get my hair cut. Angie's been cutting my hair for a while now. She did an excellent job today. I went home, had lunch and a nap, did some hand laundry, and went to Mom and Dad's for dinner. Dad went off to the Novena without us, who prepared dinner. After dinner, watched some Olympics...Women's 100m hurdles, semifinal heats for the men's 200m...it was great to see Canada's Andre De Grasse and Jamaica's Usain Bolt happily grin at each other before/as they crossed the tape together. See these photos:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2889290/rio-2016-andre-de-grasse-sets-canadian-record-en-route-to-advancing-to-the-200m-finals-at-summer-games/
Also saw some women's 100m hurdles before that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home