Tuesday, January 22, 2019

About those HS students and their response to Native American/ American Indian Drummers

22 JAN 2019
See 
https://www.nbc.com/nightly-news/video/nbc-nightly-news-jan-21-2019/3866252 
time point: 10min 58sec TO 12min 51sec.
On the NBC NIghtly News this evening (22 JAN 2019), the Omaha Native American drummer (Vietnam Veteran Nathan Phillips) stated that perhaps the students needed cultural education. I couldn't agree more. 

When I encountered Native students in California, I learned that the Creator gave to men the gift of drumming; men keep the heartbeat of the Nation with their drumming, while the Creator gave women the gift of childbirth. The weekend viral video of encounters with 3 Native drummers showed HS students observing something that was sacred. They were not behaving as if this were true. Sure, they were ignorant, but cultural information & education could help them to understand and to become more culturally sensitive....see the interesting take on how differently filmed videos capture different truths.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/viral-clash-students-and-native-americans-explained/580906/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home