MORE JULY 2020 DAYS, SUN 19 JULY to FRI 31 JULY 2020
SUN 19 JULY 2020
Today I called DW early. I made banana and plain pancakes for M and D for breakfast. The Christian Associates television cable station was not broadcasting today, so we watched Sunday Mass at noon on EWTN. I called in an order @ the fish Strip District hot foods kitchen: 2 kinds of fish, mollusca rings (I wrote with my pen), and onion rings. I was out of the market and standing by the car before D knew it. We ate our fill of the spread, leaving the 1# fish sandwich for later. We enjoyed it all with suka at bawang, mayonnaise, and a touch of ketchup.
Neatening up and Nap followed after cleaning up lunch. Sometime mid-afternoon the water was shut off on our main avenue, as there was a problem that needed addressing. No water in my or in D and M's buildings. I dug out a lightweight stock pot, and D and I filled it up on B. Soon it will be time for dinner. It was in the 90s Fahrenheit today; it's been in the high 80s and 90s for a while lately. Muggy weather.
MON 20 JULY 2020
Today I awoke, made a version of a goal-setting list. Joked with a friend that cleaning house is like doing laundry---one must Maintain. "That's why maintenance workers are called that." I also joked that "I killed my shredder!" And, to punctuate these phrases, the water came back on.
Had leftovers of Sunday for lunch with D and M.
Helped M with phone and correspondences. Made Macaroni Chicken Salad for dinner, and watched America Says... afterwards. Sent some emails. Woke up M at 21.35+.
Time for bed.
TUE 21 JULY 2020
After my shower and breakfast, I spent my time vitalizing, consulting database, and picking up socks. Turns out consulting dB was moot earlier this morning. Had Mac et al. salad for lunch and dinner.
WED 22 JULY 2020
Bible study was cancelled today. Went groceries? today in Friendship/Shadyside. Water off for a good portion of the day (Water repairs between 2 major streets on Morewood Street?) Edited my online undergraduate profile. Chatted with SN, coworker, by phone. Made plans to go marketing tomorrow, put the list in order.
THU 23 JULY 2020
After a 12 minute bicycle ride and chatting with a friend by phone for a bit, I went grocery shopping at Palenkeng Malaking Aguila. Great. Selected prepared foods, as well as foods for sinigang, which Mom promptly began to prepare as soon as I arrived. D and M and I enjoyed prepared food for lunch. There were also 2 forms of ice cream, one for M, one for D.
Dinner was the sinigang, followed by recorded NBC Nightly News, Vault Jeopardy!, cleaning up the kitchen; requests/ intercessions to Marian Assumption helpers for M, C- warehouse store ordering with M, and listening to links of an email from Uncle S/WV of Nat King Cole, the Lettermen, and Julio Iglesias serenade various audiences in turn with "Dahil Sa Iyo." Next were duets of Elvis Presley with Connie Francis; followed by movie clips of Elvis singing. A clip from the 1957 movie Loving You was quite progressive, with a well-integrated audience of youngsters through older folks rocking it out in the open air to Elvis (Deke Rivers)'s singing.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050659/
FRI 24 JULY 2020
Went for a medical appointment; helped M with various items; had breakfast and had lunch; stayed at D and M until they received their delivery from the warehouse store. Good, clean yummies (food, snacks, and liquid dish detergent)--in series, of course! Went home before M and I could watch Jeopardy! Chatted by phone with MVK.
She posed an interesting question
several times to me during our conversation re: SARS- CoV19:
"How do we know whom to believe?"
What
do we Practice? "Social distancing, wear a mask, wash your hands often,
and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Be well and be safe!"
"How do we know whom to believe?"
At
first I responded that "it's not a matter of Belief---It has nothing to
do with Belief; it is a matter of what we Practice/what we Do or Don't
Do so that we get out of the pandemic Alive."
Then,
I said later in our phone call that if I believe (i.e., listen to) anyone, I
listen to Dr. Fauci: He's a medical doctor who practices the Hippocratic
oath; "Do no harm."
SAT 25 JULY 2020
Went for a 25 minute bicycle ride....Christmas in July! Started cleaning out my bottom file cabinet drawer. Said hi to a neighbor who had just recently had outpatient eye surgery. We chatted about what we thought about the return of choir (not anytime soon; the activity is our "spewing"; probably not social distanced; and no masks--!), probably no return any time soon. ("Kind of like my library books," I thought.) We chatted about Mass, etc. I had butter pecan ice cream with lunch today.
At 14.00 I had a Zoom meeting with Pra D; and hosted by EYH and her hubby, DH. We chatted about teaching, and about various other topics for ~2.45 hours.
At 17.00 JO hosted a family (siblings and parents) Zoom meeting, sans k+K. From 19.00 to 20.00 D and I made a Chinese cuisine run in Bloomfield---spring rolls, shrimp lo mein, General Tso's chicken, and stir-fried eggplant with white rice. After a quick dinner, we returned to a new, BF-hosted Zoom meeting---this time with k and K. The latest meeting, of which we were participants, we joined from ~20.15 to about 21.05. More ice cream for D then.
SUN 26 JULY 2020
Had a late morning chez D and M: Watched the televised Mass at Cathedral with M in her room. Fr. Kris Stubna celebrated the Mass, with Deacon Tom Berna assisting. There was an acolyte/server. Kimo Jung lectored. Music ministry was provided from the organ console in the loft and it was sung from the altar.
1st reading: 1 Kgs 3:5, 7-12
(King Solomon asks for an "understanding heart to judge (G-ds's) people and to distinguish right from wrong.")
2nd Reading: Rom 8:28-30
Gospel Reading: Mt 13:44-52 or 13:44-46
(Longer passage)
The Homily by Fr. Kris was extraordinary. He started out with a folk story from India of a weaver, who only desires his happy (contented) life. Fr. Kris artfully wove discussions of the readings into the rest of the homily. Both M and I remarked upon the goodness of the homily right after the homily was completed. I recorded a copy of the Homily later in the day.
In my cleaning out my many files these recent months, I have come across various papers, from various times in my career, with quotes. One I placed/shared anonymously (after prompting) read:
"There are not enough hours in the day to work (at work and at home), eat, sleep well, and have a life outside of (this position's) work. There needs to be a healthy balance. Pay does not increase to meet cost of living increases."
This afternoon M and I played 6 rounds of Boggle (which I actually won this set), then spent scanning some documents which I cannot keep in physical form, then M and I enjoyed trivia games. I had a nice snack of leftovers mid-afternoon.
MON 27 JULY 2020
After cereal with yogurt and tea with milk for breakfast, I went through more former work files. Lunch after, chez D and M. Spent the afternoon catching up on computer and phone correspondence. Helped M to prepare (not really now) order a pleasant, lovely gift.
TUE 28 JULY 2020
Colorful morning. Spent 25 minutes bicycling in the morning. Prepared to get a haircut tomorrow. Burgers, fries, chocolate shake, and fruit punch for dinner, from Shadyside. D and I watched America's Got Talent this evening.
WED 29 JULY 2020
Skipped breakfast this morning. Bible study was cancelled today. Got groceries in North Oakland, then got a haircut by L, then got groceries in Friendship/Shadyside after some difficulty entering a parking garage. Got sushi in North Oakland for dinner. After brunch, M and I spent an afternoon playing two sets of Boggle. D and M and I will enjoy sushi for dinner, from Palenkeng Malaking Aguila.
Ordered the pleasant, lovely gift with delivery today. J O verified the delivery!
THU 30 JULY 2020
I received an email reply from ERW. She wrote back, in response to a discussion earlier this weekend with MK...Discussion is below...
Spoke
with MVK earlier this weekend---she posed an interesting question
several times to me during our conversation re: SARS- CoV19:
"How do we know whom to believe?"
What
do we Practice? "Social distancing, wear a mask, wash your hands often,
and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Be well and be safe!"
"How do we know whom to believe?"
At
first I responded that "it's not a matter of Belief---It has nothing to
do with Belief; it is a matter of what we Practice/what we Do or Don't
Do so that we get out of the pandemic Alive."
Then,
I said later in our phone call that if I believe (listen to) anyone, I
listen to Dr. Fauci: He's a medical doctor who practices the Hippocratic
oath; "Do no harm."
ERW responded:
Wise words, indeed. As you say, it's not about beliefs,
it's about facts, the balance of probabilities, and actually caring
about other people. We wear PPE for others, not ourselves.
I
had a bad bicycle accident last Saturday - was hit by a motorcyclist
who was running a red light. He did not stop afterwards - so hit and
run. The police are tracking him down. Anyway, I shattered my left
collar bone and dislocated the shoulder in the process, so have surgery
scheduled for next Tuesday (assuming I pass the COVID test). Can't type
for long with the one hand, but just wanted to bring you up to date.
Tuesday can't come soon enough for me; every position is uncomfortable!
Take care and watch out for the crazies,
ERW
Went for a grocery run for M, D, and I at Friendship/Shadyside. I bought papayas and also stuff to make S'mores, as well as marshmallow treats!
FRI 31 JULY 2020
John Lewis, civil rights activist and Congressman, wrote an essay that was published soon after, soon after his passing:
Opinion | John Lewis: Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation - The New York Times
I gave my regrets (RSTP) to DKF re: James W's concert at Cathedral this weekend; I said I would do my best to tune in to WQED on SUN night to listen to his September 2019 concert.
DKF sent all choristers an email, ending, "If you will be tuning in, may I suggest pouring a cocktail for yourself?"
In another email, a "Shirley Temple" was suggested!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home