WED 12 AUG 2020 to MON 31 AUG 2020
WED 12 AUG 2020- No Bible Study this week. Worked on the computer this morning. Had worked earlier to gather information for M's insurance phone appointment. Received my replacement brace delivery this evening. As the regional head said, no need to ship back my crummy original brace I received earlier this year.
THU 13 AUG 2020- Before lunch I finished an email string with CMJ, and then I phone-Vibered with EPRW who has been at Wales for quite a while. We chatted about health issues, people we both know, and voting, as Kamala Harris was named as Joe Biden's running mate just 2 days ago. D had cancelled his mid-afternoon ophthalmology appointment, so not necessary to drive out to that today.
FRI 14 AUG 2020- Bicycled 8-5-2, ending with a slower pulse. D got a quick ophthalmology appointment reschedule--everything worked out fine. We drove back to Shadyside, where we got some burgers, fries, shake, and drinks. I reached out to get some information today.
SAT 15 AUG 2020- Watched the Mass from the Cathedral for the Feast of the Assumption. Fr John O celebrated the Mass. Made a run to the corner drugstore for D and M for information, prescriptions, and health supplies. Rescheduled my late morning meeting with SH. Texted with CM and with BF. Had lunch, played a game of Boggle with M! After dinner, it was time for Jell-O and Jeopardy!
SUN 16 AUG 2020- Bicycled ~ 17: 4-6-4-1-2.5 Went to D and M---Time for an early shopping run before Mass? (No, after.) Brought over stuff from my ref--meat, and pimientos for cheese spread. Have planned a Zoom session for later today with BF and JO, et al., but not everyone can make it, so we are rescheduling. The 10.00 Mass was celebrated (televised) by Fr. Kris Stubna, with an acolyte.
His homily was particularly good: He started out by describing how Mahatma Gandhi found the ideas of Christianity useful for the India he lived in, with its caste system. M Gandhi was in England, and went to a Christian church to go to a service. At the door, he was refused there, being told to (worship/pray/) with his own people. Gandhi found a caste system in Christianity (in practice), and chose to remain a Hindu.
Readings were: Isaiah 56: 1, 6-7; Romans 11: 13-15, 29-32; Gospel-- Matthew 15: 21-28
The lector was Kimo Jung, Debbie Zugates cantored, accompanied by the organist in the loft.
D and I went to the Strip District for seafood, and Asian groceries. After a cooling-off shower, I joined D and M for some cooked lobster claw from the Strip. Refreshing orange-mandarin orange Jell-O for dessert. Now time to work on a project for M---scanning and filling out forms.
Finished working on M's application...for now.
M and I watched online a performance of Carousel (recorded in the series "Live from Lincoln Center"). It is based on a play, Lilliom. Notable performances included that of Julie (Kelli O'Hara), who is a wonderful actress, and of Nettie (Stephanie Blythe), who has a lovely, powerful voice. Tiler Peck danced the role of Louise, Julie and Billy's daughter, and was light on her feet---in the performance I saw, she appeared to dance en pointe at the beginning, but she was wearing soft ballet slippers!
The New York Philharmonic presented a staged concert version of the musical from February 28 to March 2, 2013, at Avery Fisher Hall. Kelli O'Hara played Julie, with Nathan Gunn as Billy, Stephanie Blythe as Nettie, Jessie Mueller as Carrie, Jason Danieley as Enoch, Shuler Hensley as Jigger, John Cullum as the Starkeeper, and Kate Burton as Mrs. Mullin. Tiler Peck danced the role of Louise to choreography by Warren Carlyle. The production was directed by John Rando and conducted by Rob Fisher. Charles Isherwood of The New York Times wrote, "this is as gorgeously sung a production of this sublime 1945 Broadway musical as you are ever likely to hear."[85] It was broadcast as part of the PBS Live from Lincoln Center series, premiering on April 26, 2013.[from
[85] Isherwood, Charles. "In a Sunny Setting, Lives Dappled by Shadow", The New York Times, February 28, 2013 (print version dated March 1, 2013, p. C13); and from
"Kelli O'Hara-Led Carousel Concert Airs Tonight on PBS", BroadwayWorld, April 26, 2013 appearing in Wikipedia, accessed 16 AUG 2020, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel_(musical)#Musical_numbers ]
I was not taken by the production viewed this afternoon by M and I. M commented that the action seemed to move slowly, and I had issues with the story line [SPOILER ALERT]: Woman, aware of the deeds of a bad man, and having been beaten by him, chooses to marry him and to have a child with him. He kills himself while trying to steal money, and comes back from the Otherworld to reach his teenage daughter, only to strike her. I did not like the way it romanticized multigenerational wife/child abuse.
Enjoyed lobster tail with rice and potatoes for dinner, then mandarin orange/orange Jell-O for dessert.
Will view the CD for A Chi's back brace soon, to instruct about it. Turns out my device with the CD-ROM is no longer in the last place I placed it, nor in the penultimate place. How perturbing! No device and no watching CDs/DVDs. Pretty maddening.
MON 17 AUG 2020
Watched the City of Asylum's Feyisola Akintola moderate a sponsored talk (363- 377) by Samantha Power, former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations early this evening. She quoted Emma Lazarus in a chapter from her memoir: "The Golden Door," the ending of one of my favorite poems.
She quoted John Lewis, who recently passed away, "(Sometimes one must) get in trouble---necessary trouble." She spoke of how she got a press pass to write about the troubles in Bosnia. She wrote how the current administration ordered a report on the net economic benefits due to US immigrants, found that they were off-the-charts, and the report was shelved by the Trump Administration. She pointed out that the current First Lady IS an immigrant herself. Then, the talk turned to audience questions (There were 5 total). She saw how women were a large majority of protesters in Belarus after the stolen election, how these citizens were fed up with the election outcome. And how the protests evolved to be about lots of other issues. And how the wild card is Putin. There was one question about how, in some countries, there is a tendency toward isolationist/nationalistic tendencies (including building taller and biggEST walls) and there are factions which try to build multinational alliances. She said that while "look(ing) out for national interests---recognition of the threat requires...cooperation," and that "China does have a lot of influence." She said that (we must) "bring democratic countries together" (and work) "as a bloc."
Her advice to a young person's question regarding getting into foreign policy was, "You can't fight every battle," and, about young people, "They care so much, they are afraid (to choose)...Go deep...Don't be afraid to choose."
The last question addressed former Pres. Barack Obama's quote: "Go into their private garden(s)."...What give (her) hope?" She responded, "Intensity and breadth,...more women participating in (the) US election(s); Black Lives Matter not going away, ..."
The hour-long web broadcast was an intense discussion with breadth: It went from Pittsburgh stories (where she first arrived with her family, as an immigrant) to working as a war correspondent, to her published memoir, to the current national and international political climate. Whew!
TUE 18 AUG 2020
LMG and I chatted by text early today... I updated and put M's application in order for it to be faxed. D drove me to do so. Took care of various things, including updating this blog.
At about 16.12, there was a small cadre (less than a dozen) activists yelling/chanting down one lane on the street. It was not clear whether they had a permit, or were just tired of not being heard. The police vehicles came up from behind the growing number of cars backed up behind them, all within a couple of minutes. Perhaps the officers will inform the activists about permissible activity.
WED 19 AUG 2020
Remote Bible Study with Fr. Mike (+4+1+ et). I read the Gospel about
"And who do you say I am," asked Jesus.
"You are the Christ," responds Simon Peter.
I made a point during discussion of the Gospel about the dualism: Christ is the sole head of the Church, and in his response, Simon Peter was singular and unique from his peers. This is parallel to St. Thomas Aquinas's mind/body dualism, where the mind is represented by the
Head of the Church: Mind : : Body of the Church : Body
Heaven : Christ : : Earth : Peter
I made pimiento cheese spread in the afternoon, and chatted with MVK at home.
THUR 20 AUG 2020
Brought M for lab tests. D drove us today.
https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/student-had-covid-19-here-s-what-she-wants-you-know
Why there is no visual recording, including photography, in the Sistine Chapel:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-reason-why-no-photography-is-allowed-in-the-sistine-chapel?utm_source=pocket-newtab
News about the saliva tests, that were approved by the Food and Drug Administration on an emergency basis on Saturday. Testing was done by the basketball league. It requires polymerase chain reaction (PCR), so requires a certified laboratory:
https://s2.washingtonpost.com/camp-rw/?trackId=5e803853ade4e21f598442d7&s=5f3d857ffe1ff65e11846b8f&linknum=1&linktot=44
FRI 21 AUG 2020
Busy morning: bicycle for 10 minutes, helping M with phone correspondences, made a hair appointment for her, made our lunch before I drove her to her hair appointment with L, our favorite stylist, then we went grocery shopping in Friendship/Shadyside. Someone said that my coworker who has a job there has left for out of state. Made a list of everything that needs done (To Do List). We watched a three-hour Great Performances episode on PBS Broadway after dinner this evening. The King and I (with Kelli O'Hara, from Carousel earlier) was the performance, as recorded in 2018 at the Palladium Theatre in London's West End. D was delighted to see the 4-poster bed, very similar to the one in the bedroom.
SAT 22 AUG 2020
Went for a small grocery run on Craig Street this morning. Chatted with Cheryl about exercise and the weather. Made pimiento cheese sandwich for lunch, did a little scanning of documents. Chatted with LMG before dinner preparations (caught up..."I can't imagine some of what happens in 2020. {One} can't invent the kind of stuff that happens {and that is said}," I said). D, M, and I had the other half of the watermelon after dinner. Time for Jeopardy!
SUN 23 AUG 2020
Bicycled 15 minutes; texted LMG. Headed to see the televised Mass at D and M's home. Fr. Kris Stubna celebrated the mass, same young acolyte as last week (with a haircut), Angelo cantored, with accompaniment from the organ/choir loft.
Just prior to the homily Fr. Kris welcomed the returning students and their parents, mentioned COVID logistics, then launched into the homily, paraphrased below:
"Peter in the Gospel showed Commitment. Christ was not interested in his credentials, per se: Jesus prayed to the Father for guidance. The disciples were public sinners...the Lord was looking for something else: Whether the head of the Church could do the work of God, do it well, and do it with fidelity.
"When Jesus asked the disciples, including Simon Peter, "Who do people say I am?" It would have been easy to go with the crowd. But Jesus was looking for Faith. Christ is God Himself, come to preach the Good News. The Church was not made by people. Jesus gave birth to the Church.
"It is important to have a Good Heart, to be a servant, willing to lay down lives for each other. We may struggle and doubt and question (but that is okay--think of Peter), to believe all Jesus teaches us."
Spent an hour chatting with SH by Our Lady of Craig Street, both of us with cloth masks donned and S with a kerchief and parasol in the warm, breezy, non-humid day. About 5 people walked by us, some with masks, some without. Got ready to go to BF, SC, MM, and WA's home. Took a nap while I waited. D drove, I brought the yoga mat and MM's hot/cold bag. WA chatted with D and me for a while, socially distancing and wearing cloth facemasks, while we waited for SC,...and waited...and waited. There was a cameo appearance of BF there for a moment. Finally, D and I went to East Liberty/Bakery Square for burgers and chicken, leading to D and M and I having a late lunch. Sent my photos from this afternoon to SH.
Watched Lola Igna on Netflix this evening. A compelling story, told through part of the life of a "little old lady." D, M, and I enjoyed it. LS had recommended the film/movie!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10965300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
MON 24 AUG 2020
Sent photos again to SH. Had a remote meeting this morning. Went to 2 grocery stores and to pick up an order in the North Hills today. Also got gasoline and stopped at the drugstore to run an errand for M. Took a short nap, then helped M with returns and balloting.
TUE 25 AUG 2020
This morning I made a berry smoothie from: Frozen yogurt and yogurt, frozen mixed berries, figs (as a sweetener), 2 teaspoons of chia seeds, and a little more sweetener. I also bicycled for 17 minutes. Afternoon--watched Atonement (Keira Knightly, James McAvoy; and as the younger sister, Briony- Saoirse Ronan, Romola Garai, and Vanessa Redgrave) with M on television (Peacock). I watched closely, and was able to identify characters, even though the movie showed scenes from multiple angles of the story, as well as flashbacks during the war years of the story. JO had recommended the movie, and said that she had to watch it several times. I found the younger sister's character well-acted throughout the movie.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0783233/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Attended a Zoom work meeting in the late afternoon.
WED 26 AUG 2020
Bible Study for the 22nd Week in Ordinary Time with Emily T setting up the meeting and Fr. Mike Darcy leading the study. There were 5-6 of us present, with JoAnn present for the Zoom meeting, too. After lunch, I chatted with MVK, then M and I prepared dinner. Watched the NBC Nightly News after dinner, and Jeopardy! College Tournament, too.
Tested reactivity to 2 OTC products, in preparation for applications starting tomorrow night.
THU 27 AUG 2020
Went grocery shopping for D and M. Got lots of food, including bok choy and 3 tubs of ice cream in 3 flavors: Butter Pecan, Coffee, and Creamy Chocolate. I absconded with the coffee flavor. We watched the penultimate show for the Jeopardy! College Championship. Nabir won handily this first of the 2-day final shows.
Started an OTC products experiment tonight.
FRI 28 AUG 2020
Before lunch spoke with Tina at the library. It was so nice to hear a friendly, recognizable voice on the other end of the phone, as I renewed items. After lunch chez D and M, called the grocery story where I visited yesterday to pick up our order at one of the departments. M and I then made kare kare for dinner, watched snippets of NBC Nightly News, and the final for Jeopardy! College Championship. Nabir won handily. Getting ready to watch a movie called Olympia, about Olympia Dukakis.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713980/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_9
What a great, spirited, cheeky (as those Brits would call it) movie! Here were some paraphrases and quotes from the movie:
OD asking a transsexual: "What did you want/need so much? (What led you to go through the process of becoming a woman?)"
"The friendship of women....not (physicality nor) sex." "(And because it was on a) spiritual level, I could relate to (this), as an actor."
OD: "If they don't give it to you, you have to build it yourself."
Whoopi? Said: "Her range is frightening."
OD to Tony Simones?, a student of hers, " What do you think I am, a book?"
"No games," OD
OD about drugs, "You're trying to kill yourself...Might as well stand in front of a truck...(which she did, and a woman pushed her out of the truck's way)."
OD on raising children: "Boundaries and discipline."
OD on a book: "Buried in Oblivion and Covered in Silence the Teachings of the Great Mother."
A book: When God Was a Woman, by Merlin Stone...Herstory...Natrifloral and Natrilineal Living.
OD heard a voice: "Celebrate Her...(because) You are of Her and you Know." Man had to lessen this to compete with this.
At the ending of the movie was her and her family's visit to Greece....
Acting and life are about Transformation. The film turns to Myceanae, where Clytemnestra and Agamemnon were from; followed by Pelopi on the isle of Lesbos, where there is a street named after Michael Dukakis, her cousin (who had a cameo mid-film on the night she received the Oscar/Academy Award for Moonstruck). She chats with the village women while visiting there. Finally, there is a scene of releasing the turtle, Lola, to the sea in Messinia. We watch with the tourists---including Olympia---the turtle haltingly making its way to the water's edge, until the crowd blocks our view. The Great Turtle of Epidaurus, described by OD, who likens herself to the turtle: "I stop on a non-emotional level; (like on a) body level."
The film was dedicated to her late husband, who passed away in 2018.
SAT 29 AUG 2020
M and I made chicken macaroni salad with pineapple for lunch today. D and M and I also had creamy (dreamy) chocolate ice cream for dessert. Chatted with JAH in FL after lunch, who basically described suburban COVID behavior: Going to the gym (including yoga class) maskless, playing tennis (outdoors, I assume), small dinner parties of 6-10, restaurant dining, haircuts with masks, stores requiring social (physical) distancing with masks, including grocery stores, which have one-way/one-directional aisles as in Pittsburgh. JAH thought that my description of Pittsburgh was rather extreme. I replied that it was the difference between an urban locale and a suburban one. The library where JAH holds classes has been open for a month or two, but she has remote Zoom classes for her students. Her co-teacher is handy with PowerPoint. JAH described a situation where class attrition is a problem, and we discussed various ways to improve attendance. I mentioned the possibility of offering (competitive) scholarships to students who apply for one. We talked about poor vision, and accessibility devices. We talked about remote biology laboratories this past Spring semester, and how I would prefer to hire someone for a lab position who had graduated a year or two ago over someone who will graduate 3 years from now (all things being equal), due to keener in-person laboratory skills. JAH and I talked about special education and allergies when we were growing up and in school versus now. I spoke about environmental influences, and I spoke about new geriatric medical issues---people dying of Alzheimer's because lives have been extended more than just a generation ago.
I watched Cash Cab while having a snack, went home to retrieve some items, including letters and the latest Rewards Card in the mail. D and M and I had dinner of leftover kare kare on rice. Delicious!
I had an episode of oc migraine that lasted about half an hour. Then, I helped M with the bills. We then worked on crossword puzzles.
SUN 30 AUG 2020
Watched the Sunday Mass from 10.00 with D and M.
We had chicken macaroni salad for lunch, M had me distribute some of it to their neighbors (LW, T & J W, and E & DD). M and I did crossword puzzles, I worked on a Sunday one from LW that M had started---and I continued and finished this afternoon. I took a nap (those readers!) and then M and I tried to look for family of one of their mission friends. I watched part of the Mass from St. Paul the Apostle Church near Columbus Circle in Manhattan, which has all congregation attendees wearing masks, socially distanced, and the cantatrice and lector having donned masks, as well. The Paulist Father Rick Walsh shed light on the etymology/word origins of Sacrament and of Sacrifice. In the word Sacrament, ---ment means a "thing" and sacra--- means "holy" or "sacred." A Sacrifice is the basis for a Sacrament. Fr Rick also stated this about "Fear: The best way out is through."...and mentioned a Paulist Father's book, "Love is Letting Go of Fear." He also mentioned one of the prayers at the altar: "A Holy (Other, Christ) and Living (Us, we are Gifts) Sacrifice."
Heating up food for dinner. We enjoyed a dinner of mussels, kare kare, rice, and two flavors of ice cream: Creamy (dreamy) Chocolate, and Butter Pecan. Soon after dinner, M, D, and I watched Alfred Hitchcock's Rope, the second time M and I each saw it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
I like it even more than Psycho... It's probably my favorite Hitchcock movie. Couldn't spot him in his cameo. M fielded calls from A Chi and JO before we had a Zoom call... JO and GJM and A the Dog, WA, M and D, and I zoomed on a meeting I scheduled. WA caught us up on the doings of some of his friends, including JF, who passed away (!) recently, and IU, whose dad recently passed at 100.5 years. Rest of his friends whom WA caught up with were described. Whew! A great Zoom meeting regarding work, socially distancing/ remote learning, nearby CA wildfires, etc. with M and D, WA, JO and GJ.
MON 31 AUG 2020
Smoothie for breakfast. 2 loads of laundry. Helped D and M with printing out ballot applications around lunchtime. Chicken macaroni salad for lunch. Emails from the museum. Forwarded an email to MM about a museum program. Fish dish for dinner (instead of dish with monosodium glutamate), extra creamy (dreamy) chocolate flavor for dessert. M and I watched Jeopardy!, D observed me go, chatted with B.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home