TUE 01 JUNE 2021 to WED 30 JUNE 2021
TUE 01 JUNE 2021
Attended by Zoom M's medical school classmate, Aida Jocson's funeral Mass. Zomed with NMB before our committee Zoom meeting at 19.00. Chatted by Zoom with Ak O-D right after the meeting, then jumped to D, M, and my Bible Study meeting with Fr Mike Darcy.
WED 02 JUN 2021
At 09.30 SH and I went for a walk to and around the church grounds---talked about the retirement of DKF. Everyone I have spoken to from choir is struck by this fact.
Watched a Bay Area Television livestream of BAM's graduation. WA was taken by the non-alphabetical ordering of students. BAM wore a green and a gold cord over his "Master's green" robe, for Social Justice. I took a screenshot of his accepting his certificate, and took a video of the same with my phone. I was glad to share these with the family.
THU 03 JUN 2021
Doctor's wellness appointment with Dr A, who is showing and knows now that her addition to the family will be a girl! After I got home, I attended an hour-long Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Zoom Painting Pointillism class. I found myself taken by the mark-making, and getting caught up in the pattern and quality of marks, beyond the colors. lo|la and I sang to MAMc.
FRI 04 JUN 2021
I went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside, purchasing---among other items--- a dozen Boston Creme donuts for National Donut Day. Appointment with the eye doctor, Dr Scott, which resulted in trial lenses to take home.
After dinner, M and I watched Notorious (1946) with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038787/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
An excellent Hitchcock movie!
SAT 05 JUNE 2021
Went meat and butter shopping at the fishmongers in the Strip District. Enjoyed a walk with SCN and H on a partially paved trail at 9MR. Pleasant, until the drone hovered loudly overhead. "Quite irritating," as SCN stated.
SUN 06 JUNE 2021
Soon after 07.00 started two loads of laundry. Finished them and folded them in time to attend the televised Sunday Mass from the Cathedral. The celebrant was Bishop David A Zubik, and Fr. Kris Stubna. It was the last choral Mass of the season, and DKF directed the choir and music from the loft. Angelo cantored from the altar, there were 4 altar servers (the young, tow-headed student, the usual server from this Mass since last summer, Luke, and a bearded fellow, perhaps a seminarian?). Erica Gamerro assisted the Bishop. Carole DiC lectored, and the Eucharistic Ministers were Rich DiC, Nathan S, and Bev B.
Napped after lunch. Retrieved some natural peanut butter---a key ingredient for kare kare, which we enjoyed for dinner.
MON 07 JUNE 2021
Went grocery shopping for fruits and vegetables in Friendship/Shadyside. Bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way there.
Investigated the lamp being out this afternoon.
Prepared/list time for visit to k and K.
Didn't get much sleep between Monday and Tuesday. :n( Measured.
TUE 08 JUNE 2021
DI assessed a project situation. Rested, to make up for lost sleep. Bible Study in the evening via Zoom.
WED 09 JUNE 2021
First morning of JO chez M and D. MM retrieved her from PIT and we're excited to have her here.
THU 10 JUNE 2021
JO requested to drive M, D, SC, and I to visit k and K. But first! a remote/ virtual video visit of M with one of the specialists.
The trip to k and K involved a Shortcut, which reminded me of Stephen King's short story, "The Shortcut," except less creepy and in full daylight. DDonuts was our pit stop, SC's request.
For dinner at Mntrs, we enjoyed M's kare kare, and beet salad by k: Beet pieces cooked with edamame and seaweed, with an orange juice and vinegar dressing.
FRI 11 JUNE 2021
At 08.30, SC's family contacted him, planning to leave "in about an hour."
We took bets about arrival time: I guessed 3PM/15.00; JO guessed 3 to 4 PM. We spent the good portion of the day playing board games and finding the WiFi sweet spots where we stayed.
A lumpia wrapping session with shrimp and also beef lumpia was conducted on the back porch.
At 15.49 WA, MM, and BF arrive, after a rain downpour/thunderstorm had ended. I took photos and video... we all saw a little toad< frog, which crawled under a mat after the storm.
K arrived after work, and we all had dinner: kare kare, salad, rice, and the two kinds of lumpia.
We all decided that 22.00 was too late to watch a movie, despite the projector being in place.
SAT 12 JUNE 2021
02.30 to 03.00--Awake.
5.30 to 5.53--Up and about.
K prepared a hearty breakfast for all. A Day on the River for the bulk of us: k and K (with I); D, WA, MM (with H), BF, SC, and JO.
M and I spent a relaxing day in Mntrs, which included naps, lunch (including k's rice ball and lumpia laman paired with rice), and a butterfly following us around.
SC and I went early to B and S farm to gather eggs---S showed us how, and we 3 gathered 28 to 32 eggs, depending on whether you count the broken ones or not. SC and I gently washed the eggs with water and a brush (being careful not to disturb the membrane), after which we set the tables with B. Most of us played darts (sans moi), and then dinner was served. MM got a photo of me before a a large quartz or feldspar stone behind the patio where we dined.
After we arrived back in Mntrs, we played some Dixit. It seems to be one of SC's favorite games.
SUN 13 JUNE 2021
After a wonderfully large breakfast prepared by K, we borrowed k and K's iPad to watch the livestreamed 10.00 Mass from the Pittsburgh Cathedral. Bishop David A Zubik celebrated the 12 Sunday in Ordinary Time, with Fr Kris Stubna, the Rector of the Cathedral.
S led 2 teams (he and D, MM and SC) in bocce/ lawn bowling. Great fun was had by all.
At ~15.00, despite some rain, a group went to the farm and k and K's home. We took photos of the soon-to-be ready Shedio, chatted inside the warmth of their home, and took photographs and video of the rainstorm in the canopy.
Soon after, WA and MM's family left to return before sunset. G stopped by Mntrs to say hello and chat.
MON 14 JUNE 2021
Headed back home. Safe voyage with JO driving via the Shortcut! Relax and chill.
TUE 15 JUNE 2021
Regular medical appointment for M at MaW. D dropped us off. Picked up a library book on the wire rack outside the building on the way back.
Bible Study via Zoom in the evening.
WED 16 JUNE 2021
Early morning Stvi, an appointment.
THU 17 JUNE 2021
Around lunchtime we went to 2 Asian grocery stores and to the fishmongers in preparation for Father's Day celebrations! Dinner for D, M, and I was drive-though burgers, a shake, fries and chicken nuggets, and drinks.
FRI 18 JUNE 2021
Shopping w D at Friendship/Shadyside and then at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside.
SAT 19 JUNE 2021
Picked up JO from PMc, replete with homemade raviolis. JO drove through Millvale, we stopped at a yarn store. Amy, the proprietor, was very helpful and friendly. Meanwhile, K and k dropped I off at WA and MM's home and k and K went for a walk at Phipps Botanical Gardens. Lovely dinner of pata, pancit, lengua/ dila, vegetables, and more! BF delivered her half-hour presentation on Racism and Fantasy/Science Fiction to us. Quite nicely researched. We all wished SC a fun time at camp; his mom will drive him there tomorrow.
JO, k and K and I headed to my home for fresh popcorn, cookies, and conversation. JO headed back to M and D's to sleep.
SUN 20 JUNE 2021
Happy Father's Day! I went to the fishmongers, and was sandwiched in line between 2 groups familiar with Ohio. Quickly I whisked in, selected 7 live crustaceans and one tail for myself with the help of the staff. THere was a man with his < 1 year old baby, and a woman with her children. "Did you get your crab claws," was heard more than twice today.
An amazing spread for lunch today; D, M, K and k, and I were joined by WA and BF! Lobsters were the key item for lunch and dinner, with sweet ears of corn, seaweed salad, Pinoy pata, pancit, lengua de vaca/ dila, fresh lumpia, and O! did I mention paletas de mangue and sorbetas? And the inimitable halo halo, which WA declared was an ultimate diversity food, and we all love to eat for summer.
M, D, and I watched the recorded Mass from Cathedral on her computer. Mass for the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time was celebrated by Bishop David A Zubik, with Fr Kris Stubna. There were 4 altar servers. Among them were: the usual server from 10.00 (since last summer), Luke, and (perhaps) a seminarian (?). Erica Gamerro was the Ecclesiastical go-to person. Alex DiC cantored, and Pam Iannitto was scheduled to lector. The Eucharistic ministers were Jeff Schneider, Lynn Bainbridge, and Rich DiC. The readings included ones from Job, and the Gospel of Mark. The Bishop began the Homily discussing when bad things happen to good people, how Job had a deep faith, the Gospel reading about the stormy boat on the water, which led to the disciples saying, "Don't You Care?" When Christ requests Faith of his followers in the boat.
Music during this Mass included:
Preparation of the Gifts- O God Our Help in Ages Past
Communion Hymn- I Am the Bread of Life
Communion Meditation- How Firm a Foundation
MM returned from dropping SC off, and joined us later in the evening for dinner and games, which ended in a couple of rounds (punctuated by raucous laughter, at that) of Tellustrations: MM, k, K, JO and yours truly.
MON 21 JUNE 2021
I awoke ~ 5.00, went back briefly to sleep, then after k and K headed to M and D, I followed them there, for breakfast and for farewells.
Phone calls, nap, lunch followed.
JO and BF went to the Co-op Grocery store.
TUE 22 JUNE 2021
Took an nap, went clothing shopping at a favorite store, and watched Knives Out (on the recommendation of JO) with JO, D, and M. Stellar movie with a stellar cast.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8946378/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Bible Study at ~~20.00 TO 21.20 via Zoom.
WED 23 JUNE 2021
Organization Meeting by Zoom with T. Took copious notes.
12.45-14.45 A cleaning meeting with G.
15.30 to ~16.30 Walking at 9MR with JO, SCN, and H. We noted the high water marks, from the debris and trees. Worried about the fate of a bubble pebble.
THU 24 JUNE 2021
Early morning appointment for car work. Lamp and socket replaced; Oil changed (since 2019); and new tire put in. The old bulb part from PB was under $5 with tax---this one was $30+.
Brought D and M to PCP office for check up. We came back, had a snack, and JO drove us all for Moules Frites chez le restaurante Belge. All of us were joined by WA and BF. I shared an ice cream with D. After reuniting BF and WA at their home, JO drove to the EEFCoop for an ice cream treat. She is doing laundry in preparation for her trip.
FRI 25 JUNE 2021
M and I accompanied JO to the airport. I drove back. I drove D, M, and I to the warehouse store in Homestead, where we got groceries and other supplies. Then to get milk digestive products and produce, eggs, and other groceries (and a step stool).
SAT 26 JUNE 2021
Picked up supplies at the N Oakland drugstore, on the way to the Oratory to drop off tracts.
SUN 27 JUNE 2021
D, M, and I watched the 10.00 Mass. It was celebrated by Bishop David A Zubik, homilist Fr Kris Stubna, and Deacon Tom Berna. There were 4 altar servers (Luke, Antonio, the wee short fellow, and a seminarian?) and someone (like Erica) serving from the Diocese. the two Eucharistic ministers included, perhaps, a bearded Nathan S (?).
A young girl was receiving her First Communion, Michelle Lally and her husband were celebrating their 28th wedding anniversary, and Fr Kris is celebrating his 36th year as a priest starting this week. He mentioned that the readings for his first Mass were the same as those for today's Mass. And the homilist, Msgr Murphy, at that Mass stated that the readings described "what a priest really does." Both the synagogue official, Jairus, and the hemorrhaging woman who touched His cloak had great faith, whereas His disciples in the boat in last week's Gospel reading feared perishing in the storm. (In the case of the hemorrhaging woman, she "heard about Him/ believed [that] 'if I just touch Hi[s] clothes, I shall be cured.'...He wants to know who touched him, and then Jesus said, 'Daughter, your faith has saved you. Go in Peace.'"
Fr. Kris stated furthermore in his Homily, "Jesus walks with us every step of the way...if we have faith, we will not be afraid...'I will be with you to the End of the Age. Have Faith.'"
The Communion Meditation/Hymn of Praise- There's a Wideness in God's Mercy
The Bishop had each of us raise our right hand to pour forth a blessing to Fr Kris.
MON 28 JUNE 2021
After a breakfast of challah avec du fromage de chèvre au miel, I bicycled 10 minutes. Found contact info for UPMC for M, D. Caught up with phone communications. Online language learning is up to 205 days of consecutive instruction, as of today. Yay! Lunch, then a nap. Worked on getting a video with possible folk dance steps for M's presentation later.
We had pizza for dinner--Canadian/Hawaiian.
For the past 2 weeks, Savannah Guthrie has been the guest host of Jeopardy! Today, Dr. Sanjay Gupta started his round as the guest host. After Jeopardy! I organized my correspondence to work on it tomorrow.
TUE 29 JUNE 2021
I bicycled for 10 minutes today, then worked on correspondence. Helped out with preregister for an appointment. Time for lunch before we go to the appointment. M accompanied D, and I drove. M and I made fresh shrimp lumpia for dinner while I was sous chef, chopping the shrimp, onions, and garlic to prepare them for the cooking pot. I worked on a telephone question as M finished preparing dinner; M joined me on the phone. After dinner, I did online language learning, including the vocabulary application to which WA introduced me after the mini-reunion. Bible Study was cancelled by the facilitating priest, Fr Mike. We will all meet next week.
WED 30 JUNE 2021
Woke early, had breakfast at home, and made a call to iron out an electronic question. Went for 2 meetings with 2 different friends in Oakland. Left in time to avoid the downpour/Thunderstorm Warning which morphed into a Flash Flood Warning in midafternoon. Had lunch with D and M. Helped D with electronic online orders from PA. Helped M putting away a food delivery. Worked on handwritten correspondence.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home