MON 01 AUG to WED 31 AUG 2022
MON 01 AUG 2022
Ensure I get my necessary equipment for this time.
TUE 02 AUG 2022
All Staff Zoom meeting this morning. Photo book arrived.
WED 03 AUG 2022
Lunchtime Zoom with Josh from the Katherine Johnson IV & V Facility, along with Nathan and RR.
Agreement to have me do a reciprocal "Teach-In" at the museum for teachers...
Went to the neighborhood drugstore to get eye and hair supplies.
THU 04 AUG 2022
Lunchtime medical yearly appointment; quite productive. Went to the North Hills for the discount store, to pick up some clothes, and to Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside for a la carte groceries!
FRI 05 AUG 2022
Opening night for that funneee movie. But the thunderous skies keep us all inside, including potential swimmers. ARVM's friend saw a sneak preview earlier this week in the Los Angeles area. His friend texted to ARVM: "It's funny, don't expect a deep movie LOL."
SAT 06 AUG 2022
Thunderstorms throughout the day. Went in mid-late morning w D to the Farmer's market. We got local plums, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, plenteous bi-color sweet corn, and more zucchini. Yum! Delicious!
SUN 07 AUG 2022
Celebrated the 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time. D, M, and I attended the televised Mass at 10:00. Fr Kris Stubna was the celebrant. Alex DiC cantored, accompanied by the organist at the Beckerath console. Carole DiC lectored, and the servers were: The usual young man at this 10:00 Mass; and the bespectacled, short kid. Eucharistic ministers were Nancy H, Rich DiC, and Audrey C. Music included:
Entrance- Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
Communion Hymn- All You Nations, Sing Out Your Joy to the Lord, Alleluia, Alleluia
Recessional Hymn- God Whose Giving Knows No Ending
Attended the organ concert for the Summer Organ Concert Series. Today's concert was by our own Music Director, Brian F Gurley. The concert was recorded by WQED FM.
The program consisted of:
~ Grand Choeur- Theodore Salome
~ Prelude, Fugue, and Chaconne in C Major, BuxWV 137- Dieterich Buxtehude
~ Rubrics (A Liturgical Suite for Organ)- Dan Locklair
I. ["The ancient praise shout,] 'Hallelujah,' has been restored..."
II. "Silence may be kept"
III. "...and thanksgivings may follow."
IV. "The Peace may be exchanged."
V. "The people respond -- Amen!"
~ A pair of pieces: Pastorale on Psalm 23:1 from Seven Sketches on Verses from the Psalms
Andante tranquillo from Five Short Pieces - Percy Whitlock
~ Prelude and Fugue ("St. Anne") in E-flat Major, BWV 552
The Rubrics were from the Books of Common Prayer in the Episcopal Church. The ending of part I flowed like a stream or multi-level creek. Part II in the last 1/3 had a low vibrato note/chord. Part III at the end had a running chord. Part IV sounded rather solemn, and Part V the organ seemed to "speak" voices responding "Amen!" jubilantly.
I particularly enjoyed the last piece, the Fugue ("St. Anne"), which had as a theme the opening melody notes from the hymn "O God Our Help in Ages Past," a favorite hymn of mine from childhood. The last part of the fugue sounded flowing, like a stream.
I had an opportunity to chat with SR and L, JM, JS, and EH, as well as with BFG after the concert. We had a group photo of choristers and Ken with Brian. JA was at the concert, but didn't stay afterwards.
Family Zoom meeting from 18.00 to 20.00. Some topics included fabric arts, SCMA's starting school on TUES 09 AUG 2022, the new house tour, and house appreciation values.
MON 08 AUG 2022
First day in the choir loft since before the pandemic lockdown (12 MAR 2019, but I was most recently in the loft ~early 2019). Fr Donald Breier passed last week, and a small but hardy group of choristers sang for his memorial Mass. We met in the morning for warm-ups and practice of Mozart's "Ave Verum Corpus." We made our way to the choir loft, and received the hymn music from JM. Ken was at the Beckerath console. Christina McC cantored from the altar.
Music included:
Entrance- Sing with All the Saints in Glory- Music arr. from Hymn to Joy, L van Beethoven
Responsorial Psalm- I will walk in the presence of the Lord, in the land of the living
Offertory- O God Beyond All Praising (v.1-3)- Music, Gustav Holst
Acclamations- Chant, etc.
Communion- Eat This Bread, Drink This Cup
Communion Meditation, Cantor- Panis Angelicus [cantor- Christina McC]
Communion Meditation, Choral- Ave Verum Corpus- W.A. Mozart
Song of Farewell- Lyrics, Order of Christian Funerals; Music, Richard Proulx
Recessional Hymn- I Know that My Redeemer Lives- Music, John Hatton
The readings were:
First reading- Ecclesiastes 3- https://bible.usccb.org/bible/ecclesiastes/3
Second reading- 1 Corinthians 15:50-52ff [same reading as at Joan H's funeral]
Gospel reading- from Last Supper Discourses- John 14:1-7ff or 12ff
Bishop David A Zubik celebrated the Mass. Fr Joseph M Mele delivered the homily. He mentioned the funeral card of Fr Breier, "The Last Request." He mentioned that Fr Breier was "a priest's priest,...a brother...[and that being his] friend meant to be reciprocal." He was "relaxed with parishioners...[and] not afraid to be real, [to be him]self....[to be an] authentic adult." About person[s]: "The human and divine console us. [If we] let him come and be close to us, be present, [in silence, responding to us with just] 2-3 sentences... Preach and live....Hear where Jesus is. Be alive with that person....Fr Breier was Real in this World. On his holy card, [it said to] 'forgive the wrongs I've done...God love us.'"
TUE 09 AUG 2022
SLH and I went for a walk to the drugstore, where I returned some items. We also sat and chatted, and returned. What a nice, relaxed time.
WED 10 AUG 2022
Had a medical appointment. Got a haircut (It was too short to be called a bob, but I'm glad I asked to part it on the other side.) Went shopping at the Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. We are swimming in fruit---peaches and nectarines, 26 of them, to be exact!
THU 11 AUG 2022
Cooler days...80s Fahrenheit. Spent some time in the morning on correspondence and music program preparation for M's class reunion. Went home to clear and clean a shelf for books by authors I have met. Chatted with DW by phone. Made and brought over a pan of Crispy Rice Squares to share. Bangus with rice, nectarine, and mint ice cream sandwiches for dinner, as ampalaya does not strike my fancy. Too fun.
FRI 12 AUG 2022
Spent the morning doing online Spanish lessons, neatening up, and trying to find a home for the last ~0.75 box of books by authors I have met. Am still looking for Eudora's book....et al. Had lunch chez M and D, and spent the afternoon with them. Finishing up the polishing of the music program for M's class reunion. Polished off the last of the Crispy Rice Squares from yesterday after dinner. Caught up on electronic and phone correspondence. Soon it will be time to catch up on new Jeopardy! episodes from this week.
SAT 13 AUG 2022
Black and Gold Day at work at the museum today! I had two spotlights---with lots of people from Pittsburgh and West Virginia; One parent and child from Austria, who would go this afternoon to the Steelers' preseason game. The first half of my shift was about Pittsburgh Minerals. I utilized the Steelers' icon/symbol to discuss Pittsburgh minerals and commerce. The second half of my shift was at the Mountain Lion/Panther. The University of Pittsburgh (PITT) Panther was discussed, with the diorama including the Mountain Goat.
SUN 14 AUG 2022
This was the 20th SUN in Ordinary Time. D, M, and I attended the 10.00 Mass by television. Fr Kris Stubna celebrated the Mass, with Nathan S as the Sacristan server. Mary McC was the lector. Music ministry was provided by the cantor Shane at the altar, accompanied by the organist at the Beckerath console.
The 1st Reading was Jer 38:4-6, 8-10
The 2nd Reading was a letter to the Heb 12:1-4
The Gospel Reading was Lk 12:49-53,
Talking about division within families.
In his Homily, Fr Kris mentioned that the Holy Father Francesco picks 3 words/themes to discuss. Today's readings mentioned: Hardship; Conversion; and Hope. In the 1st Reading Fr Kris points out that, despite hardship, Jeremiah is provided "sufficient Grace to do the task," and that "anyone who suffers in this life (has like a) cross of Jesus. He noted that St Augustine underwent trials and hardshipss. That with Conversion "some people go to a certain church to feel good...(GMA=welcome and belonging)," there is "hardship of the human heart; Metanoia: A Complete Turnaround....St Paul mentions that with God, one can"not be lukewarm---either (hot/)burn(ing with the flame of the Spirit,) or cold. Conversion happens every day." And, finally, he mentioned Hope. He brought up the 2nd Reading, where a Cloud of Witnesses gained Eternal Life....and that we are not weary, that we do not lose heart. We leave in hope.
Music included:
Entrance Hymn- Praise my Soul, the King of Heaven
Communion Hymn- Bread of Life, Cup of Blessing, Gift of Christ the Lord; Be the Body You Receive Now, Broken for the World
Recessional Hymn- For the Beauty of the Earth
~~~~~
This morning I put away some books from authors I have met.
Discussed a Physically/Geographically, Mentally, Emotionally, and Spiritually Safe Place with someone later this day.
MON 15 AUG 2022
I continued dealing with my books this morning. Attended the Assumption 12.00 televised Mass from St Mary at the Point with M. Fr Chris Donley celebrated the Mass. I went to Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside to get groceries. Took care of some correspondences (electronic and phone) today.
TUE 16 AUG 2022
Slow day. Call insurance and medical equipment provider.
WED 17 AUG 2022
Swam today for about 20 minutes. When I got home, I participated in a Zoom webinar for Pittsburgh Listening group. Bible Study for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time. I was honored to read the first reading for our group.
THU 18 AUG 2022
Early this afternoon M and I went to both the North Hills and to the South Hills (using Google Maps) to find electronic equipment. Afterwards, we went to the fishmonger and an Asian grocery store in the Strip District. Live lobsters for dinner.
FRI 19 AUG 2022
Went to UHMontefiore for X rays, only to find that the only day they take X rays are WEDs. They were directing patients to UPMC Presbyterian University Hospital. On the way there, I stopped by Eye and Ear Clinic to pick up supplies, and dropped something off for L, a staff member. Caught a bus home afterwards.
More Lobster for dinner! Made lobster open-faced sandwiches, as I did last night.
SAT 20 AUG 2022
Packed books in a medium-large box for AA.
Had lunch at D and M's home before I drove M to the South Hills to retrieve electronic matter. Waylan helped set up. Went to WFH Asian grocery in the Strip District for vegetables. Next visited the fishmonger for fruit, vegetables, and meat. M cooked kare kare at home whilst we ate spaghetti leftovers.
Walk after dinner with SLH to Schenley Plaza. Enjoyed Millie's ice cream and dairy free desserts while we chatted, noticed the doggies and T shirts, and took in the families playing ping pong and putt putt golf.
Will prepare for tomorrow; will do my daily Spanish lessons.
SUN 21 AUG 2022
Today I lectored at the noon Mass. Fr John Pfannenstiel celebrated the 21st SUN in Ordinary Time (Cycle C). Readings for the Liturgy of the Word were:
1st Reading- Is 66:18-21
Responsorial Psalm- Ps 117:1, 2
2nd Reading- Heb 12:5-7, 11-13
Gospel Reading- Lk 13:22-30
Music ministry was provided by Linda O, cantor, and Brian up at the Beckerath console. Music included:
Entrance Hymn- The Kingdom of God
Gloria, Alleluia, and Eucharistic Acclamations- by Peter Latona
Psalm- O. Alstott
Offertory Hymn- Let Us Come Now to the Kingdom
Communion Hymn- You Bring Forth Bread from the Land- A. Motyka
Recessional Hymn- In Christ There is No East or West
Gerry G was one of the Eucharistic Ministers. Nathan S was the Sacristan, and I greeted his mom, S, warmoly in the Sacristy.
Chatted with Noreen and Eileen after Mass---and snapped a family photo for some visitors.
When I got home I labelled a medium-large box of books for Ana. I hope the folks she passes them on to can use them. Met up with Jorge, L, and her as they were heading out to dinner.
MON 22 AUG 2022
I attended a Zoom virtual exercise class this morning. Paid a large bill via CC.
Went grocery shopping in the Strip District---Asian food and the fishmongers.
Started tonight a nine-day Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia, for the health of 3 of my elders. Participants were from the East Coast, Pittsburgh, West Coast, and the Philippines.
TUE 23 AUG 2022
Visited with a friend in South Oakland. Got a ride from D, to and from there. Jennifer H and I met up, went for ice cream in Schenley Plaza, then came back to my place to try on and pass along my shoes. Some also went to my neighbors. Day 2 of the Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia.
WED 24 AUG 2022
Went for a swim---averaging ~1 minute per lap, did 20 laps. Also did bilateral rondes de jambe twice, at halftime and after finishing laps.
Bible Study at 20.00, for the 22nd SUN of Ordinary Time.
Day 3 of the Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia.
THU 25 AUG 2022
First day of Occupational Therapy for fine joints, with intern F'y, supervised by C'y. Went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. Chat by phone with BG regarding logistics and masking. Helped M with preparation for tomorrow.
SCMA called for well-wishes.
Evening 4 of the Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia.
k arrived late at night.
FRI 26 AUG 2022
Made my way to D and M at ~6.20 AM, after listening to BBC News. Had breakfast and prepped a Swiss cheese sandwich for k. Started an electronic prayer message chain, and WA and K (and I'a) joined. k is giving updates.
Everyone back at the ranch before high noon! k and D went for take out Thai lunch. k and I taking turns; flowers from J O. I phoned and chatted online with a large national organization. Chatted with JM about choir. Dinner was leftovers and Chambersburg peaches. WA called at the end of dinner. Well wishing all around.
Getting prepared for evening 5 of the Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia....A latenik, and I'U couldn't make it there in time. Otherwise, the PI Joyful Mysteries!
SAT 27 AUG 2022
Zoom Yoga meeting with SCN + 5 of us. Attended to preparing lunch for D, M, and I, and to M after. Brought 2 trays over for M in the afternoon. Took care of electronic correspondence in the afternoon, as well as redeeming electronic points. Spoke by phone to WA, who played the recorder, too.
Had Day 6 of the Zoomed multi-continent Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia.
SUN 28 AUG 2022
Watched SUN 10.00 Televised Mass with M.
In the 13.00 hour, Tito L and Tita JP stopped by with snacks, also from R and S. Salt, sherbet, cake stand, etc.
Building picnic. Sat with Janet and Alexandra. Great meal, great conversation, and great company.
Had Day 7 of the Zoomed multi-continent Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia.
MON 29 AUG 2022
Busy morning. WA's procedure for mid-week was cancelled. Phone and electronic communiques this morning. Ordered Pinoy food for Oktoberfest. In the early afternoon I brought D to the eye doctor in the South Hills (Co in NoCal). Everything OK. We drove through the beginning of a thunderstorm to pick up a slew of tacos for lunner. Brought them home to M and polished them off. Went to the neighborhood drugstore to drop off and pick up prescriptions and sundry medical and other items for them. Took care of blogging, phone and email correspondence, etc. Will have Day 8 of the Zoomed multi-continent Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia.
TUE 30 AUG 2022
D, and M and I (for family) attended the televised early Mass from Cathedral. Fr Kris celebrated the Mass, Audrey C proclaimed the Word (including the General Intercessions), and Brian provided music ministry from the loft. The readings were:
Reading 1- 1 COR 2:10B-16
Responsorial Psalm- PS 145:8-9, 10-11, 12-13AB, 13CD-14
Gospel Reading- LK 4:31-37
Music included:
Entrance Hymn- Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee/You - after Beethoven's Hymn to Joy; lyrics Ps 145:10
Acclamations- from Peter Latona's Mass
Recessional Hymn- Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
Mid-afternoon I had a video medical appointment.
From 17.00 to 20.30 I attended the All Staff work gathering in Schenley Plaza. I walked slowly there, and sat with Carole, Pete, and, later, Suzanne. We were quite taken by the torrential downpour on the side by the carousel, whereas the side with the sidewalk towards the Porch was Sunny and dry! Chatted with various people, including Shelley B, Gretchen B, Pat H (back from vacation on a cruise), JoAnn W.o, Breann (in line), Sarah, Chase M, and Philip M. Gretchen B delivered a short address about the evolving Mission Statement and Goals. Also after the catered dinner from the Porch, I chatted with Pat Mc and Amy H, as well as with Mandi L and with Matt L. GB was a great leader-server as she doled out a piece of carrot cake for me. Chatted with Ruth F-F and Suzanne after dinner until us 3 departed together. We agreed that that was a great event.
Day 9/9 of the Zoomed multi-continent Novena to Our Lady of Penafrancia. The 2 who left for the airport Zoomed from there, whilst waiting for their flight.
WED 31 AUG 2022
No water 2x this morning chez D and M. Took a nap mid-afternoon, then went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside, and at Friendship/Shadyside.
Watched Jeopardy! with M (Mattea R was the champion), then we 3 (D,M, and I) attended Zoomed Bible Study with Fr Mike + 8. I had the honor of reading the first 2 readings in the 23rd SUN in Ordinary Time (Cycle C) for our group:
Phmn 9-10, 12-17. The Gospel was: Lk 14:25-33
For the 1st reading, I made the point that, though St Thomas Aquinas of the Enlightenment wrote of the mind-body duality, within this ancient reading from Wisdom, a Trinity of the Mind, Body, and Spirit were mentioned.
During the discussion of the 2nd reading, we discussed that Onesimus was a slave, and that Paul sends Onesimus back to his owner, "no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a brother." There was some discussion as to whether St Paul were pro-slavery. I mentioned that there was a Conversion (not just of the slave); there was liberation from slavery. But even beyond that, there was the Conversion of Heart of the slave owner, which is necessary for the abolishment of slavery.
After Fr Mike read the Gospel reading, we discussed it: a main theme was Prioritizing the Gospel over Earthly matters. The "hating" of the earthly life; the tower, and the troops. I noted that the portion of the reading which mentions "hating" one's family and life is probably an exhortation to Empathize with the orphan, the widow, and the stranger. In order to empathize with the orphan, the widow, and the stranger, one must Become the stranger. Jesus was Different from others of his time, not just spiritually, but also in the way he behaved and led his life. One cannot understand those different from oneself unless one walks like them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home