Tuesday, March 01, 2022

TUE 01 MAR 2022 to THU 31 MAR 2022

TUE 01 MAR 2022
This morning I had an All Staff Meeting, with half the time spent in a breakout room with 5 others.

Here is a link about Ukrainians telling their history with Russia through music:

Learn about Ukraine's resilience and its history with Russia through these 4 songs
or HERE, in the LINK directly below:

https://www.pitt.edu/pittwire/features-articles/ukraine-russia-history-through-music?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Tues%2031%20Ukraine%20support%20Ukraine%20music%20Kathryn%20Nesbitt%20BHM%20recap%20Headlines%20Events&utm_content=Tues%2031%20Ukraine%20support%20Ukraine%20music%20Kathryn%20Nesbitt%20BHM%20recap%20Headlines%20Events+CID_401d53f374ee9efe40e8393e61bced0b&utm_source=CM%20Pittwire&utm_term=Listen%20to%20the%20songs

16:12
Ms Yanchenko, a member of the Ukrainian parliament, stated on a television clip that there have been innocent children injured and killed in Ukraine. She pleaded for more serious sanctions, for the Russian president is a "mad(man)."

Watched NBC's broadcast of President Biden's State of the Union Address. More details later.

WED 02 MAR 2022- Ash Wednesday
Met a friend from the Oratory on the way to D and M. 

Saw this Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story online this morning:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/faith-religion/2022/03/01/father-jason-charron-in-ukraine-helping-rescue-orphans-pastor-holy-trinity-catholic-church-carnegie-russian-ukrainian-war/stories/202202280108?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=editors-picks-news-frontpage&utm_campaign=Headlines-Newsletter

Nice morning Good Moves stretch before my physical therapy appointment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PRQedup5E

Virtual medical appointment with a resident during the afternoon.

THU 03 MAR 2022
ndra stopped by. Went with D and M to warehouse store for groceries and house supplies. Delivery of Durable Medical Equipment wasn't until ~18.40. At 19.00 attended a webinar on organizing and decluttering.

FRI 04 MAR 2022
Russia presses invasion to outskirts of Ukrainian capital
There was a Philippine-American Performing Arts of Greater Pittsburgh Board of Directors meeting. There were a small number of us---I had Vibered in, as did MCL. I presented and defended the work of the Grants Committee. Much discussion. Much to think about.

SAT 05 MAR 2022
Morning Yoga led by SCN.  It was Eiln's birthday. She announced her birthyear, then her husband announced her birth year, as well.

SUN 06 MAR 2022
This week the NBC Nightly News (WED?) showed the bombing of a Ukrainian urban maternity hospital.
This morning the Pittsburgh Post Gazette posted a headline, "Ceasefire falters as Putin warns Ukrainian statehood in jeopardy."

D, M, and I watched the 10.00 televised Mass, and the Interfaith Prayer Service for Peace in Ukraine at 14:30.
The 10.00 televised Mass was celebrated for the 1st Sunday of Lent by Fr. Kris Stubna. Linda O cantored, the servers were: The usual 10 AM Mass teen, Luke, Antonio, and the little short boy. Gregory Thomas was scheduled to Lector, and Eucharistic Ministers scheduled were Judy N, Fred E, and Thao D. Betty S Tarantino's funeral this week was mentioned from the pulpit.
Judy N, a Finance Council member, delivered an appeal from the pulpit in lieu of a Homily.

I sent a message to KD asking if he might know how to donate towards the Ukrainian Orphan's Fund. He mentioned that he would save a program (from the Interfaith Ecumenical Service hosted by Bishop David A Zubik) for me.
Interfaith  Prayer Service for Peace in Ukraine
"As neighbors from across Southwest Pennsylvania, we gather to pray for peace in solidarity with the Pittsburgh-area Ukrainian community. Through prayers insnpired by traditional Ukrainian liturgies, as well as the words of spiritual leaders from many faith traditions, we will come together to pray for an end to war." --from the first page of the service's worship aide booklet
From the first strains of Barber's Adagio for Strings from the mighty Beckerath organ to the postlude of Magnificat-Fugen Primi toni 17 by Pachelbel, the prayer service was conducted before full pews and led by representatives/leaders from the various faith communities/co-sponsoring organizations. The sung songs and prayers visibly moved those in the sacristy: Tears were visibly wiped away by several present. 
After D, M, and I attended the Interfaith Service televised from the Cathedral, I stopped by to meet up with KGD and BFG---I met BFG for the first time then. I got a program; on one of the last pages was a series of QR codes for making donations to charitable organizations helping our Ukrainian siblings.
I made a donation today.

MON 07 MAR 2022
I sent an email to the BoD.
I helped M to make a donation to the Ukrainian orphan care.
Aujourd'hui, j'ai recu un email de ma soeur Europeen, en francais et en anglais:
I already donate to Médecins sans frontières because they are in the city of Marioupol ...and to the Red Cross.
And today I give money directly to people who (are) going there. We meet them in the end of the afternoon. They are bringing food through the humanitarian corridors, going there from Munich.

I know it is more efficient to give to associations but it is (also important to give directly to people).

TUE 08 MAR 2022
After lunch I attended an online Conversational Spanish class. I got a call about durable medical equipment, and talked to people from insurance, as well.
Set up the Zoom Novena for the Dead--Tito Rody---for D and M. relatives as far away as the R ng P.
The last day of the Novena is MON 14 MAR 2022. We plan to attend each night.

WED 09 MAR 2022
Snow early this morning, snow, and wet snow after 10.30 in the morning. I received a call cancelling a late morning appointment, and cancelled an early afternoon medical appointment due to weather.

Late this afternoon I found an interview of Rep. Victoria Spartz (R, IN), the first Ukrainian-born member of Congress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9zjmAIVFs

During dinner and the NBC Nightly News, ndra contacted me to cancel our meeting, calling off sick.
Spent some time blogging. Set up the Zoom Novena for the Dead--Tito Rody---for D and M. Relatives as far away as the R ng P to Pennsylvania.

On NBC Nightly News tonight, this headline:
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/ukraine-says-russia-responsible-for-bombing-of-children-s-and-maternity-hospital-134992965737

No Bible Study tonight.

THU 10 MAR 2022
New York Times article on Asian American hate crimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/opinion/asian-american-hate-crimes.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20220310&instance_id=55359&nl=the-morning&regi_id=118800951&segment_id=85151&te=1&user_id=5c117ce536000bafde912ea496640fa8

Today I received an email with a discussion of the president (who is attacking Ukraine via thousands upon thousands of "peacekeeping" troops) who is deeply rooted in an unusual interpretation of R Orthodoxy religiosity, to the point that R O priests are trying and praying to sway the Patriarch Kirill (R O's leader)'s ear. A Papal envoy may soon do likewise. The president's interpretation does not embrace compromise. More below:

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2022/03/09/missing-piece-about-putin-and-ukraine?utm_source=UC+Riverside+Master+List&utm_campaign=532d5322ab-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_03_10_05_46&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6a473f0f9b-532d5322ab-93370064 

(giant eagle)

FRI 11 MAR 2022
Two morning telemed meetings in the morning. Helped M with her medical telemed appointment in the afternoon. After 21-22.00 the snow really poured out of the sky. Hurried home before the worst of it.

On the news, after a story on long COVID, a woman in Ukraine simply stating,
Help us to close the sky.
Our children are dying in the war.

SAT 12 MAR 2022
Since the snow had not been cleared recently on my parking lot, I decided against my weekly yoga class. I walked to utilize the clearest path.

Wellesley College and Ukraine:
https://www.wellesley.edu/news/2022/stories/node/195091

Ukrainian Photographer and Tik Tok, as reported by CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/03/09/tiktok-viral-photographer-sirens-ukraine-russia-newsroom-vpx.cnn

I noted that Brown Central Americans are fleeing drug wars in their neighborhoods, and those people at the border are called "illegal immigrants.".....and that White Europeans are fleeing war in their country, and those people at the border are called "refugees." War is not good to...anyone.

SUN 13 MAR 2022
Daylight Savings Time---Spring forward, Fall back!
D, M, and I attended the noon televised Mass from St. Mary "at the Point" in Pittsburgh, and in the evening we also attended the Zoomed penultimate Novena for Rody C, followed by the Zoomed Mass celebrated by Fr Louis Poncelan of Radio Veritas, and of Christ the King (seminary?) in Manila. The family shared a great slideshow celebrating his life. Holy Thursday will be the 40th day celebration for Rody.

MON 14 MAR 2022
Pi day---bought 2 apple, 2 blueberry, one strawberry, and one peach pie for Pi day. Two other shoppers hovered around the pie tables, and I told them my sister knows pi to many digits. I enjoyed a piece of blueberry pie for breakfast.

Treated D and M to lunch after labs, and then D's appointment (no stethoscope at home).
D, M, and I watched the movie The Kingmaker (2019) by Evergreen Pictures:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5105734/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
All about Imelda.
...More blueberry pie after dinner.

The last day of the Novena for Rody C was today. The slideshow celebrating his life (and his learning to dance the Floss from his brother, Eddie) was shown by Zoom again. There was: Rody's extended family; M, D, and I; A Chi, U Boy and A Teng; U Danny and A Cindy. Rody's son, Emile, spoke, saying, 
"(To take) sorrow out of death is to take Love out of Life.)

TUE 15 MAR 2022
Work subdepartment NHI meeting this morning. 
JCC Conversational Spanish with University of Pittsburgh undergraduate and graduate students--Lauren and Ricardo. We discussed viajar and related verbs, as well as the weather. Ricardo shared a slideshow about El Cono Sur ("The Southern Cone" consisting of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay).

Peach pie after dinner.

WED 16 MAR 2022
Awoke and hurried over to hear Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky speak to the US Congress via ZOOM this morning at 0900 at D and M's television. I switched it to CNN to get the best screen.
President Zelensky asked for:
Aircraft and Anti-Aircraft, a No Fly Zone over Ukraine; 
"To close the sky over Ukraine."
He invoked the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: "I have a Dream. I have a Need...The same that you feel when you hear 'I have a Dream.'"
"In the darkest time (we must) do more until the Russian military stop(s).
"The pressure is on. ..All American ports (should be) closed to Russian goods...
"The world does not (currently) have those tools...(those) institutions, or alliances."
He proposed the "U24---United for Peace.
Anti-Aircraft, and a No Fly Zone.
United Europe and the world" 
He showed a Video of various cities of Ukraine in peace....and in war. Of civilians living out their lives, and in death, being buried.
He spoke without the interpreter---in English---for the rest of the speech, which included these statements:
"Close the sky over Ukraine.
...To be the Leader of the world (means)
To be the Leader of Peace."
He was met with a standing ovation by bipartisan members of Congress.

Caught up on blogging.
Went for my physical therapy appointment.

On the NBC Nightly News, there was an exclusive interview of President Zelensky by Lester Holt via a Ukrainian-approved interpreter. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/nbc-news-exclusive-one-on-one-with-ukrainian-president-zelenskyy-135542341576

Near the end of the news clip, the Ukrainian president stated,
"The Russians have already crossed all the red lines when they started shelling civilians...(They have) killed over a hundred children ....I don't understand the meaning of red lines. What else should we wait for?"

When asked about the fate of Ukraine's capital city, Kyiv, if Kyiv should fall, does the entire country fall to Russians?

"Our people are unconquerable.
You can conquer the city,
You can broke (sic) the heart,
But you won't be able to force anyone to love someone.
That is why the heart will always remain Ukrainian."

In this same episode of NBC Nightly News was a story about how advocates Angelina Jolie and Ruth Glenn (of the National Coalition against Domestic Violence) went to the White House to hear about the Violence against Women Act being signed into law. The family court system is "unbelievably broken...and you have to do something about it."
https://www.nbc.com/nbc-nightly-news/video/advocates-angelina-jolie-and-ruth-glenn-welcome-violence-against-women-act-renewal/541317735

No Bible Study this evening.

THU 17 MAR 2022- Happy Saint Padraig's Day!
ndra not feel well, called this morning--No meeting today. 
Went grocery shopping with D at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside around lunchtime. (Also at Friendship/Shadyside.)

FRI 18 MAR 2022

SAT 19 MAR 2022
Yoga by Zoom led by SCN this morning.

SUN 20 MAR 2022
Spring started very early this morning.
Attended the 10.00 televised Mass with D and M. Bishop David A Zubik celebrated the 3rd Sunday of Lent, Cycle A Mass. Fr Kris proclaimed the Gospel and delivered the Homily. Alex DiC cantored, accompanied by the organist in the loft. Julie B proclaimed the readings. The servers were Erica G, a ?seminarian?, and Antonio. Eucharistic Ministers were Bev B, Nathan S, and Audrey C.

Went grocery shopping with D at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. 

MON 21 MAR 2022
Urgent care this morning to see a PA at my doctor's practice.
Brought M to appointment at Falk. Parking nightmare...
Grocery shopping at a large Asian market and at the fishmonger's in the Strip District with M.

TUE 22 MAR 2022
Conversational Spanish online. Discussion de GoPro video (de Cono Sur)  y de salud. 

WED 23 MAR 2022
Spent 26+ minutes bicycling this morning.
I had a physical therapy appointment today. When I returned, D was watching a continuous news program which was highlighting Breaking News (from several days of Congressional hearings on the nomination of KBG as a Supreme Court Justice): Madeleine Korbel Albright passed away. Rest in God's Peace, Madeleine. I received an email from the president of my alma mater, Paula Johnson, which listed the URL of  an Op-Ed piece Madeleine wrote for the New York Times re: Vladimir Putin----
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/23/opinion/putin-ukraine.html

Bible Study tonight for the 4th Sunday in Lent.
I proclaimed the 1st Reading for the group (Cycle C).

THU 24 MAR 2022
ndra for 1hour:45. 
University of Pittsburgh people on Ukraine:
https://www.pitt.edu/pittwire/features-articles/pitt-people-news-ukraine?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Thurs%20324%20PittUkraine%20news%20All%20Angles%202%20RAND%20grant%20PDIH%20reminder%20draft%20policies%20accs&utm_content=Thurs%20324%20PittUkraine%20news%20All%20Angles%202%20RAND%20grant%20PDIH%20reminder%20draft%20policies%20accs+CID_94ab54e965a8b23441d65d2ec0d6e975&utm_source=CM%20Pittwire&utm_term=In%20the%20news%207%20Pitt%20people%20on%20Ukraine

Let's Assemble! in the late afternoon. I was one of 3 panelists who answered questions about assemble Pittsburgh and about its history. Near the end of the Zoom meeting I stated some ways that assemble is different from other organizations:
~ assemble is free for kids in the catchment area, free for kids who need it
~ assemble deals with the whole child
~ assemble feeds the STEAM pipeline (STEM, STEAM, STREAM--variations on theme by gma)
~ assemble is inclusive.

And, from the Washington Post, Art from displaced Ukrainian children during the war:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2022/ukraine-war-children-refugees/?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20220325&instance_id=56674&nl=the-morning&regi_id=118800951&segment_id=86512&te=1&user_id=5c117ce536000bafde912ea496640fa8

Attended Bible Study with D and M. The group was Fr Mike and 5 others. We read the readings for the 4th Sunday of Lent, Lectionary #33. I read the first reading for the group. During the discussion, I reminded all of the Passover/Pesach celebration of Holy Thursday and Good Friday: "they celebrated the Passover (as on Holy Thursday)....the manna ceased (as it did when Jesus died on Good Friday)."
In the Gospel (Prodigal Son) reading, I noted that there could become a "competition rivalry, where the competition becomes to best yourself and others to be as faithful people/Christians/Catholics as we can be."

FRI 25 MAR 2022
I had a Zoom appointment this morning, and I helped M set up her medical Zoom appointment on first the computer, then on mine.
K, k arrived, to depart tomorrow with D and W for Auntie Connie's 100th birthday celebration.

SAT 26 MAR 2022
D, W, K and k departed for NJ and Auntie Connie's 100th birthday celebration today.
Attended yoga class led by SCN; (CV, GF, and I from work were present) this morning.

You may have read me state the difference between the Brown Central/Mesoamerican refugees at our Southern border vs the Ukrainian refugees far away in Europe, but, read this LA Times op-ed piece from 20 MAR 2022, written by a University of California, Riverside faculty instructor:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-03-20/ukraine-refugees-mexico-immigrants-border?utm_source=UC+Riverside+Master+List&utm_campaign=9556bb91a6-UCR_LIFE_2022_03_24_12_29&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6a473f0f9b-9556bb91a6-93370064

SUN 27 MAR 2022
Attended Mass via television with M. Bought some groceries early morning, including items for pot roast, at Friendship/Shadyside. D, K and k and W returned from NJ and Auntie Connie's 100th birthday celebration. We enjoyed smoked bangus, pot roast, lobster tails, etc. etc, and each other's company.

MON 28 MAR 2022
Attended a moving class, "Moving with Millie" online.

TUE 29 MAR 2022
Went to a specialist's appointment this morning. Drove to Falk Clinic.
Conversational Spanish online. Clase 5-- 
Repaso Clase 4: El Cuidado de la Salud
Introduccion de la Cita de la Semana
Vocabulario y Preguntas Sobre la Cita
Clase 5: Cocinando y Una Receta!

WED 30 MAR 2022
Cancelled a medical appointment.
Bible Study tonight was Fr Mike facilitating the discussion with 8 others of the readings from the 5th Sunday of Lent, Lectionary #36. The Gospel reading was John 8:1-11. Fr Mike told of a video he saw at the high school at which he teaches. A theme in the video was how Joy (Y) relates to Gratitude (X). I recalled a story from the autobiography of Ste Therese de Lisieux. During the communal task of doing the laundry, another nun would splash Therese, irritating her. She was grateful for the "rains" instead of being irritated by them....and would pray for the other. 

This Gospel is the story of "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." During the discussion of this Gospel reading, I noted that Jesus turned the question  of whether the woman should be stoned back onto the Pharisees and scribes (turned the stoning process onto them). When they saw that he had turned the stoning question onto them, they dropped their stones so the stoning could not happen!

THU 31 MAR 2022
ndra not scheduled---later, cancelled indefinitely.
Went to dr's office to: Calibrate equipment and for a visit with a dr in the practice.
In the evening, Zoom meeting CMNH with Kevin Keegan for Caterpillars. Ended up sharing my caterpillar/butterfly story with him via LinkedIn.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home