THU 01 JULY 2021 to SAT 31 JULY 2021
THU 01 JULY 2021
Finished a major correspondence and mailed it out before lunch. After lunch, I ordered some OTC sundries, too.
FRI 02 JULY 2021
Ordered a utilitarian clothing item, M and D's OTC sundries, and a rolly cart for organization purposes. DR and I went to return a library item, and then to Eat Unique for D's lunch and Biscuits Grande---double chocolate nutella cookie and peanut butter chocolate chip cookie. Yummmmeee! Around 17.00 we made halo halo for delight and enjoyed it very much.
Finished a major correspondence and mailed it out before lunch. After lunch, I ordered some OTC sundries, too.
FRI 02 JULY 2021
Ordered a utilitarian clothing item, M and D's OTC sundries, and a rolly cart for organization purposes. DR and I went to return a library item, and then to Eat Unique for D's lunch and Biscuits Grande---double chocolate nutella cookie and peanut butter chocolate chip cookie. Yummmmeee! Around 17.00 we made halo halo for delight and enjoyed it very much.
SAT 03 JULY 2021
Went for a late afternoon walk with SCN and H; we ran into her friend C---ie (~~same given name as MM's mom, C--re!) Stories were shared. I bought insurance for travel when I got from our walk.
Went for a late afternoon walk with SCN and H; we ran into her friend C---ie (~~same given name as MM's mom, C--re!) Stories were shared. I bought insurance for travel when I got from our walk.
SUN 04 JULY 2021
Happy Independence Day! We watched the television ministry Mass at 10.00, which Fr Kris Stubna celebrated with Deacon Tom Berna. There were 3 servers---the usual summer server, Antonio, and a seminarian? Desmarie DeC lectored. Shane cantored, accompanied by the organist at the Beckerath console in the loft. Vince Th and Rich DiC joined with Deacon Tom to assist in distributing the Eucharist.
Music included the following:
Entrance Hymn- I Sing the Mighty Power of God
Preparation of the Gifts- My Country 'Tis of Thee (which has an English tune)
Communion Hymn- The Lord Is My Strength, The Lord Is My Refuge
Communion Meditation- God of Our Fathers
Communion Meditation- God of Our Fathers
Recessional Voluntary (Organ Instrumental): Fanfare of the Common Man- Aaron Copeland
(which usurped America the Beautiful by Katherine Lee Bates, which was the typical recessional for patriotic days)
(which usurped America the Beautiful by Katherine Lee Bates, which was the typical recessional for patriotic days)
~~~~~
Key points from Fr Kris's homily follow.
[Sometimes we are] looking for something[that is] right in front of you----[something] ordinary and obvious. [There is] "No place like home. God's Grace is at work every single day. Pope John Paul II said that God breaks through our world, [and] Heaven comes to earth [with every celebration of the Mass]/ when we receive the Eucharist [as per the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops].
In the Gospel reading today, they did not recognize who Jesus was, [as] he didn't come the way we wanted him to come. His neighbors missed the gift of God's Grace.
In prayer, God comes to us how and when He will come into our lives. Through Faith, Great Miracles occur.
[As in the lives of saints, we see] St. Paul, who through his trials, found (in weakness) that [God's] Grace is sufficient (See the 2nd Reading today). Likewise with St. Augustine, who was suffering. And Cardinal Newman stated that if we don't change, we are dead.
God [is in our lives for] New Growth, New Life. Some of us are kicking and screaming, and hold on to the past. Obstinately. Kicking and screaming.
In Ordinary Time [of which we are in the 14th Sunday of Ordinary Time], every moment is [precious]. Do we see the obvious? [With] fidelity?
Then, Fr. Kris discussed how the 4th of July occurs on a Sunday this year,...and to not see only oppression, but to remember Vision, and sacrifices and valor....compassion and generous hearts.
Heroes are human---[we] cannot cancel out anyone.
[And, as Sundays are especially about] the Eucharist, he mentioned [respecting] Life, free religious Liberties, the pursuit of Happiness, and growth as a country, [until] one day all of us [will] take our place in the Kingdom of God.
What a wonderful Homily for the US Independence Day.
~~~~~
After Mass, D and I hopped over to the museum in the Strip District to pick up items I had ordered. Then, we went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside, and then to groceries in Shadyside/Friendship. We enjoyed a late afternoon snack of halo halo and a late dinner, the family Zoom, and PBS's the Capitol 4th hosted by Vanessa Williams. Took off at about 22.00 half an hour into the 1.5-hour-long encore of the Capitol 4th show.
MON 05 JULY 2021
MON 05 JULY 2021
Today is the official Federal holiday for Independence Day. No mail delivery today. It was a slow day for me...I took 3 naps today, M and I prepared Hebrew National hot dogs and cheese (with condiments) on Hawaiian bread, with baked beans and with sweet watermelon carved by D for lunch.
Egg torta for dinner, with dumpling ramen soup. M and I watched Jeopardy! with the 2nd week of Dr. Sanjay Gupta as the host.
TUE 06 JULY 2021
Woke up early. Went for my morning constitutional with SH, took fungi photos! Pushed and went all the way to Frick Fine Arts Fountain. Basically backtracked to get back. Attended to emails received overnight, and new phone messages/calls for D. Received my utilitarian clothing and my cart, both today.
Late afternoon, went grocery shopping in Friendship/Shadyside for a few produce items.
Two Zoom meetings this evening, including with Akwasi, ES, and NB; and Bible Study with Fr Mike and 8 of us for the 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time (B).
WED 07 JULY 2021
In the afternoon I went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside. Also went to the North Oakland drugstore to get oral care supplies.
THU 08 JULY 2021
Brought M to Highland for hair styling. She sat in the car while I went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside for lunch and other groceries.
Brought M to Highland for hair styling. She sat in the car while I went grocery shopping at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside for lunch and other groceries.
Ordered a couple of items for organizing (from an organization to which I belong).
This evening, after Jeopardy!, I watched the Twin Cities Jazz with Charmin Michelle as vocalist. Chatted with MVK, too.
FRI 09 JULY 2021
Left an envelop for PMcK for installing my fixture. Made medical appointments for later this month. BF came chez M and D, her friend Eli joined up, bearing banana bread. They prepared Biko from rice soaked overnight (Philippine Cooking in Pittsburgh) and Adobo (Philippine Cooking in America). M made delicious teriyaki salmon and roasted rock shrimp. I chopped tomatoes for our enjoyment. Dinner was enjoyed by M, D, WA, BF, E, and of course yours truly. Dessert was biko, which some chased with a piece of banana bread.
While cooking, we played "Less than 6 degrees of separation from..." and E and I found we were connected through his mom and MCL, as well as M, D, and my dozen-plus years involvement with the standing committee of the PNR.
M and I watched the recording of Jeopardy!, the last day that Sanjay Gupta is a guest host. I enjoyed the new bright lights and fixture at home---3 x 60 watt bulbs, thanks to Pat McK.
SAT 10 JULY 2021
Organized cleaning products into the ice chest/ cooler from DR, early this week. Bicycled 10 minutes...see below.
4 min slow: 1 min medium-fast: 2.5 min slow: 1 min fast: 1.5 min cool down.
Donated some cleaning products to our Share Shelf. Sent emails out---am still looking for Ireland photos and videos to share with DKF before ETD.
Went for a walk with SCN and H at 9MR, and stopped for produce at Shakespeare Giant Eagle.
SC and WA went to M and Ds for to earn a merit badge for BSA...Fishing. Lo gave great guidance on cleaning and gutting the fish, a bronzini/ European sea bass/ Loup de mer/ "sea wolf" from Wholey's from Greece.
SUN 11 JULY 2021
D, M, and I celebrated the 15th SUN in Ordinary Time (B) by tuning in to the televised 10.00 Mass from the Cathedral. Bishop David A Zubik celebrated the Mass (unlike last week), and Fr Kris Stubna was there, with Erica Gamerro, and a few servers, including the usual server, Antonio, and the short fellow. Linda O cantored.
The Bishop delivered the Homily, which started out, "Have you ever met a prophet in your life?" He went on to discuss what the word prophet means secularly, "one who predicts the future," which differs from the Biblical definition [to be a mouthpiece for God]. He went on to discuss his 8th grade teacher and principal, Sr Esperentia, who asked him, "Did you think about being a priest?" To which he would [have] replied, Forget it.
How do you answer a prophet in your life? Then he detailed how that occurred in today's readings. He reminded us that prophets are mouthpieces of God, and concluded the Homily with a question: "Are we willing to be prophets/"
Linda O led the congregation in the
Communion Hymn- Blessed are they who dwell in Your house, They shall praise you forever and ever."
Communion Hymn of Praise- Go To the World
Communion Hymn of Praise- Go To the World
MON 12 JULY 2021
Had a phone meeting this morning, and another later in the day with a friend. Watched Jeopardy! with M this evening.
TUE 13 JULY 2021
Received some durable medical equipment late today. Studied the manuals, and set it up in the wee hours.
Bible study was Fr Mike and 9 of us. Discussion was lively, and punctuated by views of paintings and also by a PowerPoint presentation by Fr Mike.
WED 14 JULY 2021
D, M, and I sang to the answering machine for a special birthday of a relative! Went grocery shopping with D at Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside, then picked up double dark chocolate dessert bars on a stick for dessert. We enjoyed bell pepper steak for dinner. I caught the end of a webinar by Dr. Payne on Science, Sleep, and Stress.
THU 15 JULY 2021
The medical equipment company representative called me for instruction with the equipment.
FRI 16 JULY 2021
Sleep disturbances the past few days. I had a 1.5 hour-long virtual appointment meeting. In the afternoon, I did various errands about town: Picked up organizational equipment (blue) and grocery shopped in the South Side, stopped to drop these items off; went to the home goods store for returns and for floral, fire prevention, and injury prevention (PPE) equipment.
SAT 17 JULY 2021
Awoke early, ~ 7.00 or 8.00ish. Slept on and off, during an 8 hour interval. Listened to the NPR Piano Puzzler radio show that pairs a composer's style with a song's melody. It's hosted by Bruce Adolphe. Had bread and cheese (bread and circus??) for breakfast. Ordered a few items for organizing from an organization to which I belong. Took care of some computer issues chez D et M, then enjoyed lunch with them. Chatted by phone with LS, mostly about swimming.
SUN 18 JULY 2021
I awoke very early this morning, and put in an order. I spoke by phone with PAD, a former coworker who has moved to WA. I bicycled at the same time, slowly for an hour. It was good to hear about her adventures since they have moved across the country.
D and M and I watched the televised Mass from Cathedral with Bishop David A Zubik, Fr Kris Stubna, et al. We celebrated the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time (B). I was surprised to see the Sacristan, Nathan Sudie, as the cantor today. There were 3 servers, including the usual 10 AM summer server, 2? seminarians, and they were all joined by Erica Gamerro. The lector was James Hayes, and the scheduled Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers were Fred Egler, Rich DiC, and Judy Nocito. Fr Kris proclaimed the Gospel reading, then he delivered the homily. He talked about the statue of the shepherd who founded Provence, France, and spoke about the shepherd in the 1st reading (Jeremiah), and, in comparison, the Good Shepherd. "Each if us is called..." he said, "[and] most of us are called to be saints. [We must suffer] as Jesus did."
During General Intercessions, we were surprised to learn of the 14th Anniversary of Bishop Zubik being appointed to lead the Diocese of Pittsburgh; and that someone had wanted the Mass to be in memory of a woman, and of M.
D and I retrieved our orders of General Tso's Chicken, and of Shrimp Mixed Vegetable, and Garlic Eggplant from Bloomfield. D, M, and I dined before SC and WA arrived. SC ate one of the orders of chicken. Plenteous plants were found, and we chatted about places that have a high Pinoy population. I set up my and M's computer for our weekly family Zoom session.
Music Included:
Entrance Hymn- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
Alleluia- de Notre Dame de Paris
Communion Hymn- You Satisfy the Thirsty Soul with Good Things
Post-Communion Hymn of Praise- O Jesus, Joy of Loving Hearts
MON 19 JULY 2021
Went with D for an appointment at PUH. Went for labs before, at FMC. Both results were good. Whew!
I followed the dental hygiene hint of BFR (Brush, Floss, Rinse) this evening.
TUE 20 JULY 2021
Stv stopped by to help this morning.
Bible Study this evening via Zoom with Fr Mike Darcy + 10 of us. We discussed the 17th Sunday of Ordinary Time (Cycle B) that evening.
I followed the dental hygiene guidelines of BFR (Brush, Floss, Rinse) this evening.
WED 21 JULY 2021
Collected my questions regarding rewards for my cellular telephone carrier.
I followed the dental hygiene guidelines of BFR (Brush, Floss, Rinse) this evening.
THU 22 JULY 2021
Re-opened my photo account, and will create something permanent with it. I set up the recording of the Opening Ceremonies of the "2020" Olympics in Tokyo.
I followed the dental hygiene guidelines of BFR (Brush, Floss, Rinse) this evening.
FRI 23 JULY 2021
Went to retrieve some items on the South Side. Also went grocery shopping on the South Side, as well.
Dropped the goodies off, then I went grocery shopping at the Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside.
Watched live, online streaming of The American with George Clooney. M asked me about the movie after it was over. I said, "A little bit of everything: Lots of guns, some 'romance,' and some religion."... I would call it "Guns and Roses and Religion."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440728/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
SAT 24 JULY 2021
I spent the morning organizing health items. DR and I went to Dave and Andy's on this hot sunny day. Later, I picked up and returned clothes on McKnight Road (wrong size, way too big), and went grocery shopping at the new location of the Asian food market. Made everyone happy.
SUN 25 JULY 2021
Christmas in July! An anniversary! Today Bishop David A Zubik celebrated the Mass at Cathedral with Fr Kris Stubna.
MON 26 JULY 2021
Phone call about 11.00 to my folks of the death of my uncle in the DC area. No more suffering. Eternal rest grant to him, O Lord. And may perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in Peace.
I drove and accompanied M to an appointment in the South Hills.
Decided against wearing my durable medical equipment due to intermittent sleep interruptions throughout the night and my early morning medical test tomorrow. Must get good sleep.
TUE 27 JULY 2021
Time for an early morning annual test! The attending doctor, Dr GA, requested further testing to rule out other possibilities, despite a negative test with a lower sensitivity first test. I have to go through my Primary Care Physician's office for further testing.
Later that morning via phone call, a respiratory therapist at the medical supply company, Crssy, insisted that according to her records the equipment "never went above" the upper limit threshold prescribed by my doctor's office, despite my scientific records of time points paired with pressures recorded well above the upper limit. She went so far as to request my "tak[ing] a picture[s]," when it should do that and requested that I "wear the chin strap," despite high aural pressure explained to her. She also was averse to a setting of less than the current pressure setting "in order to [clear] obstructive events." She also requested a change in mask. I am consulting with my doctors' offices, before getting back on the lack-of-sleep machine.
I had a virtual appointment with a specialist in the afternoon, who also agreed with my doctor's recommendation to not use the medical device until more issues are resolved.
Bible study was cancelled for this evening, due to Fr Mike visiting his Mom.
WED 28 JULY 2021
I had an appointment in Oakland; took care of various issues.
THU 29 JULY 2021
In the afternoon D and I went grocery shopping at Friendship/Shadyside and also at the Palenkeng de Malaking Aguila in Shadyside.
In the evening I watched a live webinar on fraud.
FRI 30 JULY 2021
Early morning appointment for M---I drove and accompanied her. I had an afternoon appointment with the Comprehensive Lung Center. It was recommended that I not wear the chin strap (as few events occurred requiring it), wait until the lower pressure on the machine is established, try the new mask that Crssy was shipping (not yet received SAT 31 JULY 2021, 20.00), and adjust mask/s as necessary.
D, M, and I participated in the online Novena, led by AA for Uncle Jet tonight.
SAT 31 JULY 2021
Went with DR to enjoy cuisine francais pour brunch. We enjoyed window shopping and then a salt and chocolate chip cookie in the parklet afterwards. Went with SCN and H for a walk in 9MR---Falls Ravine Trail. D, M, and I participated in the Novena for Uncle Jet tonight. K and k arrived from NC at the end of it. News of hundreds of individuals, 70% of whom were vaccinated, on "the Cod" in P-town/ Provincetown taking ill was shared with us. k and K wore masks constantly. D, M, and I wore masks when around them. Time to call it a night.
I was called back to shave ice for a great round of halo halo for all!
Made it back home by 23.00.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home